Breakups are tough even in the best of circumstances.
But they're especially hard when they're sudden, immature, or for stupid reasons.
Well, recently, we asked the BuzzFeed Community to share the worst way they were dumped. Here's what they had to say.
1. "My FIANCÉ and I lived together and had our locations shared with each other on our iPhones. I was at work one day and when I went on my lunch I noticed he had stopped sharing his location with me. I kept calling him for him to finally tell me a few hours later 'he couldn’t do this anymore and didn’t know how to leave' so he just packed his shit and left while I was at work."
2. "I had a guy I was only dating for a little while tell me he had terminal cancer and couldn't see me anymore because he didn't have much time left."
"I didn't really believe him but he did seem to vanish off the face of the world which did make me wonder...That was, until a few years later I bumped into him whilst on a date with my now husband."
3. "This guy I dated my senior year of high school decided to break up with me after we had put a deposit down on a limo for prom. We had planned to go together but he openly admitted this other girl he had a crush on since third grade said she would have sex with him if he went to prom with her instead. So he broke up with me and refused to refund me for my portion of the limo."
4. "[They broke up with me] by text the day before our anniversary. A massive dickhead move.
5. "My first real boyfriend had his friends call and break up with me. Then he refused to get on the phone and talk to me."
6. "The first time i was ever broken up with (and the only, might I add) this guy straight up messaged me on Snapchat in the middle of the night while I was out with friends saying it just wasn’t working."
"Next day I saw him out and about with my best friend at the time. They’ve been together for like two years now."
7. "We were high school sweethearts and had been dating for four years. I was in school in Chicago and he was back home in Texas. He texted me while I was in class and said [to] call him; it was an emergency. He dumped me over the phone literally two hours after calling and telling me how much he loved me and how he couldn’t wait to see me soon. Worst part is that I was leaving straight from class to go to the airport to fly home to see him for Valentine’s Day weekend and I couldn’t refund the ticket."
"I sobbed in front of my professor and my whole class and the entire plane ride. Then I found out he was cheating on me with a girl that he had been complaining about to me for two months. Fast forward three years — I stayed in Chicago post grad. Found out from a high school friend that he and the girl just moved here…five blocks away from me."
8. "I got ghosted after seven months. When I finally got ahold of him, he told me that he had never loved me, he just wanted to see how long he could string me along."
9. "We got back together around the time my mom died after being apart for about a year. One day, I had to cancel a date to be with my dad. The next day, he broke up with me through text."
10. "After seven years, he ghosted me. His disappearance left me confused and broken. Some months later, I received a Facebook message from his mother 'breaking up' with me on my ex’s (her son) behalf. Pathetic."
11. "A full grown adult man once dumped me because he didn't like the way I raised my dog. My current boyfriend loves me AND my dog. She's even more spoiled now."
12. "He was acting odd for a week or two before we headed halfway across the country to see my family. I thought he was depressed about a childhood friend of his dying. He was a dick the entire trip, then he broke up with me the day after we got back."
"I wish he would have done so BEFORE meeting my family because he legitimately ruined my trip. He said he was using the trip to see 'if he still had feelings for me.' Asshole."
13. "Dating two and a half years, with some talk of the next steps. Spent the day at a company picnic, meeting all of his coworkers and being introduced as his girlfriend. Then went out to dinner and a movie with friends, where he acted completely normal, if not a bit more affectionate than usual. That night laying in bed, he springs it on me: 'I've been thinking that this isn't going to work anymore,' and that he's been thinking about it for a few months."
14. "My ex and I had been together for almost two years when he brought up the idea of marriage. He said it was about time for us and even got a second job to save up for a ring and had this big plan to propose to me on my upcoming 30th birthday. A few days before my birthday he said he wasn't ready and basically listed all my faults to why not, and when I got upset he decided to ram a hole in my wall with his head."
"My birthday was a few days later and I threw a small get-together with my best girlfriends. Obviously I was upset trying to process what had happened and how we could possibly make it work. I had a few drinks and called him upset and instead of being understanding, he said he couldn't take it anymore, packed his stuff and left. I came home the next day with a handwritten break up note and a lot of unanswered questions."
15. "My ex and I had been dating about six months. Things were great...I thought. He came over one night, we had sex, and right after he finished, he broke up with me. No explanation. Just said he thought we weren't a good fit. As if he didn't know that before sex?!"
"Then he took the TV he gave me with him when he left immediately following that brief conversation. Never heard from him again except for one text he accidentally sent to me. He meant to send it to somebody else and was talking about me. So yeah, dodged a bullet with that Prince Charming."
16. "We were both abroad in different places for the term. He came to visit me at the end of our program and we were super excited because we had planned it out to be very romantic. He dumped me there in our hotel room because apparently after six years together (we were high school sweethearts and this was our junior year of college), he didn't think I was right for him and didn't love me. This was like two days before Christmas and he was supposed to be meeting my family after the vacation."
"I believe that he felt absolutely nothing about it which is shocking because he used to promise me that he would never leave me."
17. "He just basically ghosted me. Didn’t reply to my texts, never once called me back. Then I got a call from his wife, who I had no idea even existed."
18. "I got up the courage to tell my now ex-boyfriend that I loved him, and he came back with 'I don't love you and don't know if I ever will.' Then he told all of our friends I broke his heart. Obviously, I was blindsided, or I would have never told him in the first place. It was a lovely way to spend Christmas."
19. "In college I was spending time with this guy who ghosted me during the spring semester. At the end of summer, he emailed me this grand apology and we started dating soon after. Three months later, he broke up with me on AIM (it was 2002, okay?!)."
"When I asked to talk about [it] in person, he said okay but then had the balls to ask if I wanted to come to his room. Um, I'm NOT putting on my shoes and walking my ass across the street for you to dump me."
20. "My boyfriend broke up with me on Valentine's Day. OVER A TEXT MESSAGE! He said he 'needed time for himself.'"
21. "A five minute phone call...after buying a house together...after 14 years together!"
22. "A guy I had been dating for a year told me he had 'fell out of love with me' and 'couldn't see a future' just after doing the deed."
23. "My very first boyfriend broke up with me a week before my birthday and told me I was a 'benchwarmer for better things to come.'"
24. "After almost four years, I kind of got a feeling that he wasn't into it anymore, but he didn't come out and say it. It was just little things that felt off. After a few months, he went from saying 'I love you' to never saying it, even if I said it first. The place we shared got messier and messier, he would be out all night, just all around cold to me, and not to mention, sex went from three times a week to maybe once a month in that time. Well, I had had enough and finally talked to him about it. He said he was hoping that I would dump HIM if he treated me poorly enough so he wouldn't have to do it. What a fucking coward."
25. "I met my ex through work and we were practically living together after he left to work elsewhere. Someone we’d worked with then told him that I was cheating on him with someone else at work (which was absolute bullshit), but instead of giving me a chance to talk to him about it he literally just ghosted me. He wouldn’t pick up the phone or text me back, changed the locks and even refused to give all my stuff to his housemate to give back to me."
26. "I got dumped the day after my birthday, by a guy I was dating who had the same birthday as me."
27. And finally, here's a story from a regretful dumper: "My ex-gf could win this competition. I dumped her via MySpace message…on Christmas Eve…oof…sorry, Chelsea."
What's your worst breakup story? Let us know in the comments below!
Submissions have been edited for length/clarity.