We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us which celebrities they think seem like really kind, genuine people. Here's what they had to say:
1. "Pedro Pascal. Outspoken LGBTQ+ advocate, highly involved in progressive politics in his home country of Chile, stopped to help people load a couch into their truck, and is an all-around unapologetic hugger."
2. "Dolly Parton, hands down. She strikes me as a celebrity who’s never lost her humanity or forgotten where she’s from. Hearing her talk about not being able to afford a bus ride home for Christmas her first year in Nashville and nowadays making it a point to be with her family on Christmas without exception is such a bittersweet story. Her donations to fund research for a COVID vaccine also probably saved who knows how many lives. She also seems like a genuinely good person, just going off of vibes alone."
"Dolly Parton because of her work in her home community, Sevier County, Tennessee, and her program that gives books to children."
3. "The guys in My Chemical Romance. They've been vocal about mental health from the beginning — at a time when it wasn't widely talked about, especially in rock music. They've continually spoken out against the objectification of (especially) female fans. Their fanbase is largely LGBTQ+ and they've created a safe place for everybody. I finally got to see them in concert last year, and I've never felt so safe at a gig. Fans and band alike were mindful. People who've met them can't stop gushing over how lovely they are, and I genuinely believe that."
4. "Keanu Reeves. He's been on the screen for most of my life (I was born in late 1976), and he just seems like he would have very good vibes. I had forgotten he lost his girlfriend and their child (at different times, but still 😢), until my bestie brought it up. He's the internet's boyfriend. What more can I say?!"
5. "Kelly Clarkson, 100%. Not only is she an amazing singer, but she is just a kind and optimistic person. Literally every other celebrity makes it a point on her show to confirm that she is really as genuine as she seems."
6. "Shaquille O'Neal! After all this time, he has maintained his relationship with the city of Baton Rouge and the people he’s met along the way. Every time he’s back in town, nothing but smiles and stories of humble generosity follow him."
7. "Rami Malek. He is a total sweetheart and a genuine, kind person who respects and gets close with his costars and crew. He also advocates for more Arab representation and other human rights."
8. "Brendan Fraser! Such a humble and gracious dude. In his statement that was released after his Oscar nomination, he only talked about his costars and crew! Such a lovable fellow."
9. "Oprah Winfrey for her kindness, generosity, and authenticity. She has used her platform and success to empower and uplift others and has been open about her own struggles and journey, which makes her seem like a genuinely kind person on and off the screen. This is probably obvious to everyone, though!"
10. "Chadwick Boseman. He gave so much to the community."
11. "Natalie Portman. In every interview, she’s so genuine, and she seems very kind and wonderful! She’s so talented that she would have the right to be boastful, but she is quite the opposite! She not only advocates for important social issues, but helps followers educate themselves on the topics. She also co-founded a women’s soccer team that spreads positivity and empowerment! She truly seems like an outstanding person!"
12. "Julie Andrews is 'practically perfect' in every way. She is the whole world's magical nanny and regal queen. She's one of everyone's favorite things. Have you ever even heard of a scandalous or negative story about Julie Andrews?"
"I would do anything to meet and get a hug from her. I just know it would make me feel better about everything. She is like everybody’s sweet and loving grandmother. I am SO sorry about her botched vocal surgery. What a travesty to lose such a miraculous gift. But, she didn’t let it ruin her, and she continues to be a joy."
13. "Hugh Jackman. Just a lovely, humble guy!"
14. "Celine Dion is genuinely kind, humble, hilarious, and down-to-earth. Just watch any video of her interactions with fans. She's comfortable in her own skin and is always true to herself. She has supported many charities worldwide and championed various causes. You can't help but fall in love with her."
15. "Drew Barrymore. She's genuine, down-to-earth and doesn't take herself too seriously. She's dealt with a lot, but still came out of it with a beautiful heart."
"Especially after all she’s been through! It’s amazing that she’s able to be so positive and bright after all the trauma she's endured. I’m so happy for her that she has a bright and happy life now!"
16. "Kristen Bell. She's involved in a lot of charities and seems like a genuinely nice person. I've never read anything about her being mean, stuck-up, or nasty. I've heard her say on a podcast that she always tries to be kind and do no harm."
17. "He's more than a celebrity, but I think Barack Obama is a kind and generous soul. Although he has held the highest position in the land, he appears down-to-earth, adores his family, is wise, has a sense of humor, and loves animals and children."
18. "Dan Haggerty. He came to the state fair and did a meet-and-greet with the fans. I stood there watching as he patiently talked to every single fan. When it became my turn, I asked a personal question about a motorcycle accident he'd been involved in. He told me he was working through the injuries and thanked me for the prayers I was sending up for him."
19. "Kristin Chenoweth always seems like a truly genuine person, and I've never heard anybody say anything except kind things about her. She also seems to be someone who cares about making the world a happier place."
20. "Misha Collins. I can't say enough good things about him. He grew up in extreme poverty and hasn't forgotten. He speaks for those who don't have a voice and runs an accomplished charity. He's also extremely kind and delightful in person."
21. "Zac Efron. I met him briefly while working on the Golden Globes and he was so incredibly nice. Sure, there were cameras everywhere, but by the way he spoke to me and other people, you could see that he was genuinely kind."
22. "Judi Dench. In the current climate of very posh British actors all coming from the most elite private schools (Hiddlestone, Cumberbatch, Redmayne, Leslie, Harington, Watson, Radcliffe, Cavill, Lewis, West, Hardy, etc.), Judi has been quietly advocating for actors from lower income backgrounds with The Judi Dench Fund for Access to Drama Training, among other things. The woman is a legend who has been trying to right the imbalance for years. For non-Brits, these actors are not from just comfortable backgrounds. We're talking went-to-school-with-royalty. It's a serious problem in the industry. For perspective, Kit Harington is related to Charles II."
24. "Mandy Patinkin. He’s Broadway royalty, a fantastic actor, a HEART-STOPPING singer, and is an activist for peace among Israelis and Palestinians, among other causes. And, he is notably kind and compassionate. He’s a true mensch, and I’d love to meet him!"
25. "Lili Reinhart. She seems genuinely nice and isn't afraid to speak out on things she doesn't agree with. I'd be gutted if I found out she's an arsehole in real life."
26. "I'm going with Jessica Darrow, who plays Luisa in Encanto. I met her at Comic Con last year and she is a total cinnamon roll — such a lovely and genuine person! I love how down-to-earth she is and you can tell she truly appreciates her fans."
27. "Tom Sturridge is a literal angel. I met him and was on the verge of an anxiety attack. He was patient, gentle, kind, and asked me questions like he was genuinely interested. I can't say enough good things about him."
28. "Robin Williams. I never met him, but everything I've seen about him tells me he was an incredible person. He made people laugh, gave SO much money to charity, and he gave people a reason to smile with his work."
29. "Taylor Hanson. He does a lot of charity work for his community in Tulsa. He founded Food on the Move, which provides food for people in need."
30. "I’ve read many reports about peoples’ interactions with Jason Momoa, and they were all positive. I’d love to meet him someday. I’m sure he’d be a wonderful person to be around!"
31. "Sebastian Stan. No interviewer, person who has met him, or costar has said he is anything other than a complete sweetheart. He's a big advocate for mental health awareness and LGBTQ+ rights, and a big supporter of multiple charities."
32. Finally: "Helen Mirren! She always comes across as humble and genuine. She has a great sense of humor and personality, as seen in the interview where she stated that being in a Fast and Furious movie would be something of interest to her. She is down-to-earth and has such a beautiful aura to her."
Is there a celebrity you think seems like a really lovely person? Tell us in the comments!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.