21 Lyrics From Miley Cyrus’s New Album “Plastic Hearts” That Are So On Point, I Can’t Stop Screaming Them At The Top Of My Lungs
"I was born to run. I don't belong to anyone."
In case you missed it, Miley Cyrus released her seventh album, Plastic Hearts, on November 27th, and hot damn, it is so good.
If you're like me and you also feel like you've grown up with Miley, hearing her unleash her power and embrace her rock 'n' roll edge in this album is so satisfying.
Plus, every song is filled with fierce as hell lyrics that you'll want to shout from the rooftops.
Here are some of the best:
1. "Oh, that's just the world that we're living in. The old boys hold all the cards and they ain't playing gin."
Yes, I am starting with the last original track on the album, "Golden G String," because it is just that fucking brilliant. Not to play favorites, but this is my favorite. Call those men out.
2. "There are layers to this body, primal sex and primal shame. They told me I should cover it, so I went the other way."
A little more "Golden G String" because why the hell not? EMPOWERED.
3. "I was trying to own my power. Still, I'm trying to work it out. And at least it gives the papers something they can write about."
Still on "Golden G String," and for good reason. Go off, Miley.
4. "You, like a rolling stone, always building cities on the hearts that you broke."
Someone please help me pick my jaw up off the floor. I think it's time to get a little "High."
5. "I brought you down to your knees, 'cause they say that misery loves company."
"Angels Like You" induces weeping. That's just a fact.
6. "I'm everything they said I would be."
Yes, vulnerable! Yes, real! Still crying over "Angels Like You."
7. "I know I do this every time. I walk the line. I play with fire."
Imagine the angsty Instagram post you could craft here. But seriously, "Never Be Me" is so heartbreaking, honest, and brave.
8. "I'm completely naked, but I'm making it fashion."
Not "WTF Do I Know" making me want to go streaking down my road... No...
10. "I thought one of these days you might call when you were feeling small."
Called. OUT. "Hate Me" is so sad, yet so strong.
11. "Go ahead, you can say that I've changed. Just say it to my face."
One more spicy dig from "Hate Me" because, why not?
12. "I tasted heaven, now I can't live without it."
"Prisoner" featuring Dua Lipa is such a fucking bop. Go watch the music video, PLEASE. The ending! OMG!
13. "They say it's bad karma when you live a double life."
Sorry, but this line in "Bad Karma" instantly takes me back to Hannah Montana. It feels like a full-circle moment. Anyway, carry on.
15. "Craving attention under the disco ball."
"Night Crawling" featuring Billy Idol has me about five seconds away from buying a disco ball online.
16. "I was born to run. I don't belong to anyone."
Oh yeah, here comes the "Midnight Sky" appreciation.
17. "Fire in my lungs. Can't bite the devil on my tongue."
Miley even remixed this song with Stevie Nicks's "Edge of Seventeen." COME ON! Listen to that mashup while you're at it. Straight fire.
18. "Said it ain't so bad if I wanna make a couple mistakes."
One last moment of gratitude for "Midnight Sky." I am seriously in love with Miley's freedom in this song.
19. "Pleasure leads to pain. To me, they're both the same."
I gasp every single time. "Gimme What I Want" is so fierce and empowered. I feel like I should be wearing thigh-high boots while I listen to it?
20. "So, gimme what I want, or I'll give it to myself."
Yes, she WILL. Seriously swooning for "Gimme What I Want." Like, give her what she wants! Damn!
21. "I've been California dreaming. Plastic hearts are bleeding."
And, finally, the title track of the album! I want to wear this on a t-shirt. BRB, going to play "Plastic Hearts" on repeat for two hours.