37 Problem-Solving Things For Annoying Apartment Issues That Pop Up
Compact storage carts, removable wall decals, and more products that'll be very helpful for irritating apartment issues.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Iridescent privacy film that'll fill your bathroom with mini rainbows when sunlight trickles in and give you some privacy. Your window will look like an iridescent piece of art *and* prevent your neighbors from peeping in while you shower or sit on the toilet.
Promising review: "I love this product! I live in an apartment complex and my bedroom window happens to be along one of the main walkways for the whole complex. This product looks so cute and it gives me me the privacy I needed. It was pretty easy to install and it can easily be removed if I need to relocate." —Melina
Get it from Amazon for $7.99+ (available in 10 sizes).
2. A compact garment rack so you can arrange your seasonal clothes, shoes, and accessories in an Insta-worthy, space-saving display. You can easily access wardrobe essentials *and* creatively show off your style at the same time, even if you don't have a big closet (or any closet at all).
Promising review: "I’m a college student living in a room with a small closet and a lot of clothes. This rack provides a convenient storage option for smaller spaces. The rack gives me plenty of space for my clothes and the wood shelving is a nice touch to store things or decorate! The quality is great for the price! I enjoy how it makes my simple, minimal room look very stylish. In short, I do recommend this item for those on a budget that need a nice organizing piece or enjoy the minimalistic style." —Megan
Get it from Amazon for $75.99+ (available in two colors and four styles).
3. A row of cut-up books because with them, you won't have a view of your wifi router, tangled wires, and charging cords when you're sitting at your tiny desk. This piece of decor will cleverly hide all your e-clutter, so you can answer emails and hop on video calls in a neater space.
Here's how it's made: The spines of the books are attached together and have all the pages and covers cut out of them, except two covers on the ends. You can customize how long you would like it to be and choose a color scheme.
Covogoods is a small business based in Utah that specializes in hidden storage and home decor goods.
Promising review: "Wonderful!! We spent the past month remodeling our living room, but we didn't account for how AWFUL the cable boxes and modem were going to look on our beautiful new shelves. Saw this, and had to have it! Covogoods not only communicated quickly with me, but were EXTREMELY accommodating in my requests. Turned out exactly how I envisioned it, and dimensions were spot on! No more ugly cable boxes and wires!" —Lindsey Martinez
4. A set of thick velvet slip covers to instantly turn any dull sofa into a beautiful seating area. If your couch is covered in stains or looks a little worn, just place a couple of these on top for a jaw-dropping transformation that requires minimal effort. 😲
This set also comes with nonslip straps that'll prevent your "seats" from shifting out of place. It's also available in a bunch of colors, in case you want to do a total makeover, as shown in the review picture above.
Promising review: "I have never been so excited about a slipcover. Total transformation of our couch and loveseat. I was worried about it not working on our leather couch, but it stays on really well due to the straps and the separate cushion covers. Love!" —Brian/Liz
Get it from Amazon for $45.49+ (available in two sizes and 10 colors).
5. A disposer foaming cleanser because there's lingering buildup in your kitchen disposer that's smelly and needs to be cleaned ASAP. Your stinky drain will thank you for this foamy treatment, which will give your sink a very fresh scent (and keep funky scents at bay) during the warmer months.
Promising review: "This product works! I followed the directions, which are super easy, and was very satisfied to see the gross slime and muck that was removed. You put the entire packet down your disposal, and the magic happens quickly! Very powerful and successful cleaning! The scent was not what I would call overpowering, but the inside of the disposal is super clean, confirmed. These will definitely be a cleaning staple for me. The garbage disposal runs much easier and more quietly now. When things fall into the disposal, my hands are not covered in gross slimy stuff anymore." —JSullivanJ
Get a pack of four from Amazon for $3.98+ (also available in a 24-pack).
6. A Simple Human drying rack for your dinnerware, AKA the random assortment of mugs, wine glasses, and small plates that you're always washing by hand. If you don't have a dishwasher, this hub is helpful because it has a hanging rack, drip tray, and gets everything dry without leaving a giant puddle on your counter.
Promising review: "I absolutely love this dish rack. It fits so many dishes in it, including a huge cookie sheet, and it drains well. It’s a beast. Sometimes I use the wine rack to hang dish towels or silicon place mats out to dry. Couldn’t be happier with it." —whitney
Get it from Amazon for $79.98 (also available in a compact size).
7. A white noise machine because footsteps, sirens, and your roommate's late-night convos shouldn't get in the way of a good night's sleep. This compact device comes with 24 soothing sounds that'll help you catch up on ZZZs.
This gadget has 24 different sounds: seven fan sounds, seven white noise sounds, and 10 classical sounds. You can relax in bed listening to anything from ocean waves to a clock ticking, even if your apartment faces another building or a busy street.
There is also a sleep timer you can set to 30, 60, or 90 minutes if you want to take short naps or get ready for bed a little earlier. Plug it in, set the timer, and you can *finally* tune out annoying noise. The sound machine also remembers your last timer, sound, and volume settings when you turn it on again.
Promising review: "This little white noise machine has been perfect! I live in an apartment, above a family with a newborn, and it blocks out all sound. Great for blocking out street noise too! I use the 'ocean wave' sound to help me fall asleep, just because of how peaceful it is. The settings are super simple and easy to use." —Katherine Kelly
Get it from Amazon for $33.95.
8. A hand-held vacuum cleaner with strong suction and a crevice tool for super tight spaces around your apartment or studio. It not only picks up debris from hard-to-reach areas, but it's also cordless. You can finally ~pull the plug~ on that clunky vacuum you dread using for cleaning.
If you're always tidying up after a pet or making a mess in the kitchen, this small vacuum has a wide mouth design for large debris and strong suction for litter, fur, cereal, and dust. A crevice tool makes clearing up nooks and crannies around your apartment a breeze, while an upholstery brush gets to work on dirty carpets.
Promising review: "This vacuum may be my favorite home item. We moved into a small apartment with hardwood floors (from a large apartment with carpet), and the cat was spreading litter all over the bathroom. This handheld vacuum makes it so easy to clean up daily and keep the floors litter-free! I would buy this a hundred times over." —Erin Gleeson
Get it from Amazon for $43.99.
9. And a robot vacuum cleaner to suck up pet hair, food crumbs, dirt, and bigger messes you don't want to deal with. Let this high-tech gem clean your dirty floors, so you can avoid sweeping your small living space for hours.
This set comes with the RoboVac 11S robot vacuum, a remote control (two AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, an extra set of filters, four side brushes, five cable ties, a welcome guide, and a one-year warranty.
Promising review: "When I ordered Eufy all those weeks ago, I thought I was getting a vacuum robot. Little did I know that this adorable electronic isopod would snuffle his way across the floor and right into our hearts. Twice a day, we set him loose and he diligently munches up all the dust and cat hair our tiny city apartment can produce (and it can produce a sickening amount). He beeps happily and gets right to it." —L.Komar
Get it from Amazon for $149.99 (available in two colors).
10. A lift-top coffee table with a concealed storage compartment for junk mail, magazines, blankets, remotes, and anything else that's an eyesore in your living room. It also makes a great spot for eating and working if you don't have room for a desk.
Promising review: "This table was exactly what I was looking for! I just moved into a very small apartment and this was the perfect combination of a coffee table/ desk/ dinner table for one and a little storage space. I can open it up every evening to have dinner and use my laptop and while I have guests over, I can put away my laptop and other small unnecessary items away and it looks great! I did assemble this by myself which was a little difficult but possible if you have someone to help do it." —Janet Santiesteban
Get it from Amazon for $99.99+ (available in two sizes and five colors).
11. And a set of coasters so you can keep your coffee table in pristine condition and avoid gross drink stains. If you're done wiping off wine rings, it might be time to stock up on these gorgeous circles for your next Happy Hour.
12. Command Picture Hanging Strips to help you create a dreamy gallery wall. Four of these damage-free strips can hold frames up to 4 pounds (max. frame sizes is 8 inches x 10 inches) and they won't leave holes, marks, or a sticky residue behind. Yes to decorating *and* getting your full security deposit back when it's time to move out. 👏
No tools are required for these strips: Just prep the wall with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, click a pair together to lock them in place, stick them on the frame, press the frame on the wall, and that's it. When it's time for removal, just gently slide the frame down and the strips will easily come off!
Note: Even though these strips are great for hanging up picture frames, wall art, and mirrors, they're not recommended for mounting shadow boxes, shelves, or tapestry.
Promising reviews: "Hung an entire gallery wall with these and the medium sized ones. Easy to remove and reposition with the Velcro and they're also easy to completely remove with no marks left on walls." —Amazon Customer
Get a 18-pack from Amazon for $7.43+ (available in three styles and also in packs of 34 and 36).
13. A selfie ring light because your apartment is way too dark when you're trying to make TikToks and appear on video calls. This little device will make it so dang easy to set up a home studio, even if the lighting isn't great to begin with.
This selfie light has three different light settings (white, warm white, and warm yellow) and each has 10 brightness settings for your photography and video needs. It also comes with an adjustable tripod stand, in case you need to sit or stand!
Promising review: "I love how portable this light is! As a freelance makeup artist, I carry a lot. This light definitely lightens my load *and* helps in dark spaces. I was pleasantly surprised with the option to have either warm light or cool light. I also love the iPhone holder so I can even capture video as I work! Just a heads-up, you need to 'twist' each section to make the stand stay put and you need to bring a plug that a USB wire can plug into. So worth the money!" —Veronica N.G.
Get it from Amazon for $23.79.
14. A Ninja Foodi that'll be like your personal chef if you need a meal on the fly and don't have a spacious stovetop to use: It comes with two cooking lids — a pressure one (for pressure cooking, slow cooking, steaming, and sautéing) and a crisping one (for air frying, baking, broiling, and roasting). You can make anything from a roasted chicken to crispy eggrolls to dessert with this multi-tasking gem.
In addition to the two lids, this unit also comes with a 5-quart ceramic-coated pot (that's non-stick and PTFE/PFOA-free), a 4-quart ceramic-coated air frying basket (also non-stick and can hold up to a five-pound chicken or three pounds of French fries), a stainless steel reversible rack, and a recipe book that'll solve the dilemma of "I don't know what I'm having to eat."
Promising review: "I freaking love my Ninja. I cook for two in my household and I get very annoyed using a full oven or even dealing with the stove. In the last month, I have made 90% of my meals using the Ninja Foodi. It's efficient, easy to clean, convenient, and makes all my food yummier. Some of the things I love to make, yummy weekend brunch, chicken wings, the french fries are perfectly crispy and soo much more and this past weekend I even made homemade pop tarts. What a universal machine." —Roobss
Get it from Amazon for $165.99+ (available in three sizes).
15. A rechargeable lighter for all the candles on your window sill, dresser, and bathroom ledge that you want to light. It's easy to use, can be stored in a drawer, and comes with a safety lock switch. No more clouds of smoke from matches (or setting off the smoke alarm) in your apartment.
BuzzFeed editor Heather Braga swears by this helpful gadget and said: "I'm obsessed with candles, so it was a no-brainer for my husband to gift me this surprisingly super fun gadget for Christmas. It's really simple to use and charge, and it really works! I'll never have to buy another lighter again." Read more of her rechargeable lighter review (it's number one).
Get it from Amazon for $9.99.
16. Toilet cleaning gel stamps because your bathroom throne should be free from gross residue and rings left by previous renters. Stick one of these babies inside your bowl and enjoy a clean toilet for up to *12 days.* You're welcome.
Promising review: "We had a smelly toilet in our rented apartment, no matter how much I sanitized it still smelled! This gel stamp has worked perfect. I like the smell, it’s a little strong but honestly that is what we needed. It lasts a lot longer than I was anticipating too, so the price is a really good value. It’s very easy to use too." —Taylor
Get a 12-pack from Amazon for $8.34.
17. A surface cover that'll make your boring countertops look *way better* than they did before. Everyone will be asking, "did you redo part of your kitchen?!" when IRL, you just stuck on this marble-print adhesive and didn't get expensive renovations.
This marble-print surface cover is so easy to use: measure your kitchen countertop, cut the amount you'll need, peel off the adhesive liner, and stick it on! That's it! Some reviewers also recommend using a credit card to gently smooth out any bubbles that may pop up in the process.
If you want to spruce up other areas around home, this cover also works great for cabinets and other pieces of furniture (bookcases, desks, dressers, and more).
Promising review: "I fell in love with this contact paper. I used it in my kitchen to turn my counter from black marble to white marble and they came out amazing. I wanted to do my whole house! I love that it's so easy to clean also, anything and everything has been spilled on the counter after application and everything has come off with no residue left behind! Will for sure be ordering again for further home projects!" —Ari M. Esparza
Get it from Amazon for $5.99+ (available in four sizes).
18. A reversible outdoor rug, because it's vibrant, UV-resistant, and will give your outdoor space the pretty glow-up it deserves. If your balcony or patio floor has scratches from heavy foot traffic, this rug will easily conceal them. Plus, you can finally place your feet down on something soft while you relax al fresco.
Promising review: "It's perfect for pool areas! It wasn't what I expected but i actually like it better. If I had to describe it...I'd describe very soft straws (like drinking straws) woven into a carpet. It doesn't stay wet and it doesn't get hot so it is perfect for our pool patio. It is light weight though, so if you don't have something set on it or put it away during a storm it will blow around." —Andrea Malcolm
19. And artificial decorative leaves that'll help transform your balcony or patio into a soothing, "green" haven with plenty of privacy. You'll get 94X39 inches of this faux material, which is water-resistant and easily wraps around railings. You can *finally* lounge outside and enjoy some alone time, even if you're right next to a parking lot, street, or your neighbor's windows.
Don't have zip ties on hand? No worries, because you can order a 100-pack that'll help keep the faux leaves in place.
Promising review: "I am on the third floor and I wanted privacy on my parking lot facing balcony while sungazing. This fit the bill perfectly for me, the zip ties only took a few minutes to attach from the inside I did not attach to the outside." —Amazon Customer
Get them from Amazon for $54.99+ (available in three sizes).
20. A lap desk you'll want to use if your WFH office *is* the couch and you don't feel like pulling up a table for your laptop. Even though you don't have room for a full desk setup, you can still stay comfy while you Slack coworkers and type emails.
Promising review: "So, I don't have space, or equipment for a real home office. This lap desk is perfect for my ergonomic keyboard, and while the felt rectangle area for the mouse is too small for my large ergonomic mouse, I manage OK. Most importantly, it places my hands and arms in an ergonomically neutral position, versus trying to type at the wrong height on the dinning room table, and prevents the muscle spasms I would get otherwise. The bean bag cushions keep the lap desk from pressing uncomfortably and I can work the long hours I need to with no issues." —M.Ellington
Get it from Amazon for $28.70+ (available in six colors).
21. Dot wall hooks that'll hold up your hoodies, hats, and bags on the back of a door (and help you avoid piling 'em on a chair). What's cool about these little circles is that they're made from broken skateboards and they're super sturdy for everyday essentials.
SkateOrDesign is a small businesses based in Philadelphia that specializes in recycled skateboard goods, including furniture, coasters, and wall hooks.
Promising review: "These hooks are *so cool*. They look amazing and are quite sturdy. Bonus is that each hook came with an anchor and instructions on what size hole to drill — you could not have made things easier on top of the beauty!" —Etsy Customer
22. A slide-out storage tower for that awkward corner between your stove and kitchen wall you never use. Save precious cabinet space and use this compact storage solution for condiments, oils, and spices. You'll appreciate having ingredients on hand while you're whipping up something delicious.
Promising review: "This storage tower is awesome and such a space-saver. I live in a small apartment with little cabinet space, so I used this tower for my spices right in between my stove and refrigerator. It was also the easiest thing to assemble (no tools required)!" —S.J.
Get it from Amazon for $24.99+ (available in black and white).
23. And an expandable rack so your skillets, pans, and glass lids will be organized and easily accessible when you need 'em. Gone are the days of rummaging through your cramped kitchen cabinets to find your favorite pot.
Promising review: "Awesome product! I always disliked my Jenga pantry storage for skillets and griddles that I have been living with for over 20 years in our small kitchen and I stumbled across this organizer and it is fabulous! I can pull out a pan with one hand and not have to unstick and move pans all over to get to the one I need which is usually on the bottom. The other bonus is that this is sturdy, yet no drilling is required so you can move it around and take it with you to your next home." —KSwan
Get it from Amazon for $39.99.
24. A label maker because sharing a fridge is already a pain and you don't want to accidentally eat your roomie's soy yogurts. This tiny gadget prints labels that easily stick to containers and cartons, so you can avoid the awkward "oops I thought it was mine" convo moving forward.
Promising review: "I bought this on sale and it was worth every cent. I went through the initial roll of tape in only a few days covering everything myself and my roommates own with various obscenities. It prints clearly and have had no issues with it." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $27.42.
25. Dishwasher cleaner that'll get to work on the nasty stains and food remains lingering in your apartment dishwasher. These tablets dissolve and eliminate gross odors too, so your silverware, cups, and utensils will come out sparkling clean and smell fresh.
Promising review: "My dishwasher’s interior was a mess. My husband refuses to wash off anything before putting his plate, bowl, etc., in there and it was just awful. I saw this product and figured it was worth a shot. I’m so glad I did! My dishwasher is now sparkling like new on the inside, no stains or spots anywhere after just one wash with this product." —CarolinaMermaid
Get six tablets from Amazon for $5.99.
26. A space-saving storage unit for your cluttered bathroom where everything is stored on top of a toilet *or* crammed into your small vanity. It easily fits over your throne and holds a lot of cleaning supplies, towels, and toilet paper.
27. And a space-saving shower curtain that comes with plenty of pockets for shampoo, conditioners, and soap: time you spent using the side of your tub or window ledge for "storage" has officially concluded.
28. A stainless-steel motion sensor trash can so you can conveniently throw out trash without having it stink up your entire apartment. It comes with Clorox odor protection and a rear bag compartment, giving you plenty of space to toss anything from egg shells to meal scraps. Plus, it'll look way better than that gross plastic tub you've been using for garbage.
Promising reviews: "This trash can's size is fantastic! And the automatic opening is so convenient and functional. I highly recommend this. I'm hoping that it will last a few years! It's way better than the competition or similar automated trash cans that I've tried." —Kthx
"I receive so many compliments on this trash can! It is so sleek, and everyone loves the motion detector aspect. Plus, it holds like three days worth of garbage, which is great for us because we use to take out the trash every day." —Ana
Get it from Amazon for $91.22+ (available in two sizes).
29. A powder rust stain remover that'll tackle the toughest orange stains ruining your sink, drain, and shower walls. If your apartment bathroom looks like something out of a junkyard and you're done scrubbing it for hours on end, this cleaner can be a big help for iron buildup.
Promising review: "Moved to a new apartment, and had these stains on my toilet that were impossible to remove. I tried everything. Was so embarrassed to let people use my toilet because they looked awful. Finally found this great product. I sprinkled it around the stained areas and left it there for a couple of minutes. Then began scrubbing and they magically disappeared. What a relief! My toilet sparkles now! —Pam
Get it from Amazon for $10.33+ (available in two sizes).
30. A compact, foldable treadmill so you can work out in your living space, even if you don't have room for a lot of gym equipment. Run with the riser up or switch it down if you want to walk. It also doesn't make a lot of noise, so your neighbors won't hear every step you take.
Promising review: "We received this treadmill very quickly and set it up in 30 minutes. It has a nice holder to put your phone, great Bluetooth speaker, a remote and fairly quiet. It's set up in our one-bedroom apartment and my boyfriend and I walk for about 30 minutes a day on it. It's foldable and able to fit under our sofa. Our gym is closed right now due to the coronavirus so we walk on this to stay active. The speaker sounds great, there's calorie, distance and time of workout listed at your feet. Get the treadmill if you have a small place. you'll love it!" —D. Soto
Get it from Amazon for $369.99+ (available in seven colors).
31. Pretty macrame hangers because your plant babies need a permanent resting spot and you're already running out of room in your apartment. They'll look so pretty suspended from a curtain rod or ceiling and they'll help free up windowsill space.
Tortue Crafts is a small business based in Canada specializing in handmade plant accessories and home decor. You'll find beaded garlands, macrame wall hangings, hand painted pots, and more cute products for your home.
32. A storage-friendly bed that'll be great for catching up on sleep *and* stashing away seasonal clothes or soft linens. This bed comes with four rolling drawers that'll easily fit sweaters and folded sheets.
33. A few sheets of LED-dimming stickers because lights from your router, TV, and other devices are keeping you up at night. These small adhesives dim 50–80% of light from gadgets, so you can check if they're still working without an annoying glare. If you want your room to be darker, they'll help so much when it's time for bed.
Promising review: "This is the best thing you never knew you needed. I own a digital clock with the numbers displayed in red LED light, and every night I've blocked the light with a cover so it doesn't shine in my eyes as I sleep. Silly I know, but I like my room pitch black and cave-like. On a whim I bought this product. OH MY GOD! Game-changer!! For the first night EVER I didn't have to cover the clock display before I went to bed!! Also the product is easy to remove and doesn't leave a sticky residue at all, which can't be said for most tapes." —Amazon Customer
Get a sheet of over 100 dimming stickers (in multiple sizes and shapes) from Amazon for $4.99.