We asked the BuzzFeed Community to share their heartwarming pet adoption stories. Here are some that will make you say, "Awwwwww."
1. "Sasha was one of the last few dogs left unadopted. When I asked if there was a reason why, the shelter staff said it’s because she is a Pit bull mix."
2. "She was malnourished and feral. Now, she’s the most cuddly cat and has the most beautiful fur. Watching her transformation has been amazing."
3. "We were told that if we hadn't adopted her when we did, she probably would not have made it because they wouldn't have caught the symptoms."
4. "My brother found this 1-year-old lab mix on the streets of Miami."
5. "I went to a party at a friends house, and she told me she had found a kitten. The minute I saw this kitten, I cried."
6. "She had all sorts of cancer, infections, teeth issues, and was severely overweight. She bounced around from foster to foster for two years before coming to us."
7. "We got her from the Humane Society of Utah, where she was transferred from a shelter in California where she would have been euthanized."
8. "The day before the fosters were set to go back to the shelter to get fixed and go up for adoption, my husband decided we also needed to keep Jimmy."
9. "A pregnant, stray cat showed up at our door begging to come in one day."
10. "When I first met him, he began tugging at my shoelaces and eventually curled up in my lap and went to sleep. I fell in love and adopted him that day."
11. "Callie had been used as a bait dog, then left to die behind a dumpster. After a year in medical foster, she was ready to get a forever home."
12. "We adopted him that day. He makes my husband so happy. He exercises with him to build back his muscle and calls Sammy his sidekick."
13. "When I walked in and saw this guy, I fell in love."
14. "He was taken from a place where they were fighting dogs, and he has scars all over his body from it. Now he's in a loving home."
15. "Went to a local dog rescue adoption event for another dog and in the midst of all of the chaos, there he was, just chilling out and I thought, ‘there’s my dog.'"
16. "Stevie came back to the shelter addicted to Xanax and underweight. He spent a year and half at the shelter before they asked us to foster him. After knowing about his bad luck in life, we decided that he deserved to be with us forever."
17. "All of his teeth were broken, he was 15 pounds underweight, had heart worms, his nails were severely torn, and he had no idea how to function inside a home. Now Morty is a spoiled baby who loves his little brother and sister."
18. "After losing her front leg because of abuse, Merida came to live with us. She's 100% sure the dog she's laying on is her personal mattress."
Note: Some submissions have been edited for length/clarity.