The early days of the pandemic feel like forever ago. While most of us were fearful of the unknown and not sure what was happening next in 2020 — that didn't stop the majority of us from online shopping.
1. "In desperation on a rainy day, I bought my kids a full-sized bouncy castle. It filled my front room. I also regret buying a piano and a crown for myself."
2. "My husband and I were already struggling emotionally, but then, we lost the two best cats we have ever had. So, after a brief pause, we went out and got two kittens. One ended up getting FIP, a fatal disease for which no legal meds exist. The only cure is a black market medication that you have to purchase from China. So we spent $3k to buy the meds to save his life. The other cat — we were bamboozled by the shelter. They told us she HAD a bladder stone, but had no residual urinary issues. Lies.
"She has spina bifida, and we quickly realized she wets herself in her sleep every day. They also missed a meningocele, so we spent $6k to get that repaired by a veterinary neurologist. I am constantly cleaning up her pee and have to cover all the furniture with washable pee pads. I don't necessarily regret either of them, as I love them, and I know not many other people could care for them as we do. However, they were definitely pandemic/depression/impulse acquisitions."
3. "A Peloton bike — aka, my very expensive drying rack."
4. "I bought a knitting set so I could learn. Now, I realize that it was a waste of money and time"
5. "During the lockdown, I went a little crazy and spent something like $4,000 on lava lamps on eBay. My savings are kaput. I am not proud. The lamps are currently in a storage unit."
6. The Dyson Airwrap. A ton of money for a product that doesn’t actually do much for me at the end of the day. Karma for spending too much time on Instagram and paying far too much attention to influencers!"
7. "We decided we were going to build a fire pit in our backyard. So, we bought hundreds of dollars of rocks and tiles for it and dug a huge hole in the yard. My husband got back to working, and now, we’ve had a big hole in our yard for the past year with nothing done, and the grass is growing back in it."
9. "My dad legit bought all the Harry Potter movies for $60-$80 dollars on the TV just mere WEEKS before they came out on HBO Max!"
10. "I bought a rug for rug tufting. I made some rugs. They were super cute, and I did a great job, but now I have a $300 piece of machinery and a mountain of yarn that I don't touch...whoops."