6. A brief refresher of this forgotten moment in our history, below.
LOL: Something funny made you chuckle, IRL, out loud.
LMAO: Something funny elicited from within you a hearty laugh; a real guffaw, if you will.
LMFAO: Add on another 10 seconds of laugh time.
ROTFL: Your laughter is uncontrollable at this point.
ROTFLMAO (or some other combining-form iteration): Your laughter is so uncontrollable — maybe even painful — you actually almost fell off your chair. Your friend is effing hilarious!
7. Fast-forward to today — aka The Age of LOL Abuse.
11. LOLing has gone so awry, some lost souls often confuse it with punctuation.
14. Some may find even themselves LOLing multiple times within the confines of a single thought.
19. On the defense?
24. Are you on drugs???
26. Oh, LOL.
31. I JUST WANT TO LOL WITHOUT THE “LITERALLY,” GUYS, AND STILL CONVEY THAT I AM ACTUALLY LAUGHING OUT LOUD AT SOMETHING FUNNY.
Disclaimer: BuzzFeed loves LOL. We just can’t bear to witness its unrelenting abuse. Help us — and most importantly, help LOL — maintain its value and its integrity. You can be the change you wish to see in this world.
- It's on: Hillary Clinton has officially accepted the Democratic party's presidential nomination with some fiery words for Donald Trump 🇺🇸
- Amazon's in its Prime. The company's profit rose 831% this quarter thanks to its growing cloud computing business ☁️💸
- #TBT: Old-school MTV is returning Aug. 1 with shows like "Daria," "Beavis & Butt-Head," "Cribs," and "Punk'd" 📺 🙌