34 Cleaning Products That Get The Job Done The First Damn Time
With this handy pet hair broom, stain-removing putty, and mildew-removing gel on your side, there will never be a "round two."
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A jar of internet-beloved The Pink Stuff, which will truly do a number on everything from dirty stove tops to grimy sinks to caked-over ovens. A lot of people compare it to the Magic Eraser in paste form, so even your weirdest, most stubborn stains will meet their match.
Promising review: "Honestly I was very skeptical when I first purchased. Everyone on social media was talking about how amazing this product was for cleaning around the house and I just thought they were all jumping on some kind of bandwagon. Of course I caved and had to try it for myself. Needless to say I’m very impressed! It removed stubborn mold and grime from my shower tile grout with use of a hard-bristle toothbrush. It removed hard water stains from my sinks and faucets. I noticed it really does remove mineral buildup, but it takes a lot of elbow grease and repetitive applications before you start seeing progress. The texture feels similar to when you mix honey with sugar to make a lip scrub, except it’s super-fine grit and more pasty like putty or clay. It works amazing so far! No overpowering smell (barely any smell at all), easy to use, and a little product goes a long way. I haven’t tried it on rust yet so we’ll see how that goes. Overall very pleased and impressed so far. Highly recommend!" —Marissa
Get it from Amazon for $8.80.
2. An all-purpose car upholstery cleaner so you can go ham on the interior of your car and lift up all the stains in one deeply satisfying go.
Promising review: "Holy moly, how did I never know that this existed?? This cleaner is nothing short of a miracle!! My backseat bench has been dirty with mystery stains now for at least a decade, stains that were created by little kids, various passengers, cargo, who knows. I tried EVERYTHING to get out the hazy, dirty staining on my charcoal colored seats to no avail. Hot water and soap, alcohol-based rubs, carpet cleaners, fabric cleaners — literally EVERYTHING plus lots of elbow grease. I grew frustrated and resigned that my car will look like a dump forever. Then I started doing some research and came upon this cleaner. Many reviews stated it was the best thing ever, car sites named it their top choice etc, I decided its worth a last-ditch try and boy I am so glad I did! It took four to five sprays, some minor agitating and rubbing with a broad brush, wipe off with the enclosed cloth and whaddaya know?? POOF! STAINS GONE! I simply can't believe how easy this was and how pain free, I will go tomorrow and clean ALL my car seats! I highly recommend this, it’s the bomb." —Manddun
Get it from Amazon for $16.99.
3. A power scrubber brush you can attach to a DRILL (!!) that basically does all of the hard grime busting for you, so you don't have to have sore arms for a week just because you dared to wipe down the shower.
Promising review: These brush attachments are absolutely FABULOUS! I was looking for ways to clean a 20-year-old shower without having to spend hundreds of dollars to replace it. I saw a homemade version online so I searched and found the Drill Brush. A drill and some cleaner later and the shower looks brand new! So easy and no muscle strain! The toughest part was waiting for the drill battery to recharge so I could continue the transformation from dingy to DANG that looks great! The different sizes get into all angles of the shower. I will never scrub by hand again! Can't wait to try it on other surfaces!!" —Carrie
Get it from Amazon for $14.95 (available in six colors).
4. An MVP-worthy pet urine stain–removing spray that instantly tackles both old and new stains *plus* the yucky smell, so you can enjoy the quality time you're getting with your pet without sacrificing your carpet and/or your nostrils.
Rocco & Roxie Supply Company is a family-owned small business established in 2013 that specializes in pet odor eliminators, pet toys, pet snacks, and pet accessories.
Promising review: "I don’t know how I ever survived without this. There’s tons of 'pet stain/odor remover' products out there, but this by far is the absolute best. I cringed paying the $20 for it when others are between $5–$10, but I have NO ISSUES paying now. I foster dogs, some puppies, some older, some not house broken and every room in my house is carpeted except the kitchen which means I have lots of accidents. I spray enough to saturate if it’s a lot of urine, let it soak for 10 minutes then wipe it up with a hand towel. Then I put a larger towel on top of it if it’s in a high-traffic area until it’s completely dry. It’s taken out every stain and more importantly the odor is gone! I will never stop buying this product. I recommend it to everyone who has dogs!" —Shelley
Get it from Amazon for $19.93.
5. A foaming garbage disposal cleaner you can plop into your sink, run a little water on, and let its blue magic fizz its way up to the top while clearing out all the gunk from your culinary adventures in one go.
Promising review: "These are amazing! I was skeptical at first but I followed the directions (which are super easy) and was grossed out and satisfied at the same time to see the gunk that was removed. You put the entire packet down your disposal (I read that twice too) and magic happens in under two minutes! That is what I call powerful and successful cleaning! The scent is super clean and light with a hint of lemon. These will definitely be a cleaning staple for me." —KPITT
Get a four-pack from Amazon for $3.98.
6. A set of fast-acting Keurig cleaner pods you can simply put through a cycle on the machine to get rid of all the crusted-on grinds and residue that are *definitely* affecting the taste of your coffee, even if you haven't noticed over time.
7. A drain snake you can funnel into your shower or sink drain that honestly works a little *too* well at unclogging hair, pulling it up in one (semi-horrifying) go.
Promising review: I have tried everything I could think of to unclog my tub drain, all the nasty chemicals, plunging, auger, and then I came across these plastic strips with evil teeth LOL. They arrived today, didn't come with instructions, not that you really need any. I worked and worked and pulled out the horrific, nasty, slimy hair clog. It even pulled out a plastic razor cap (thank you teenage daughters). Mind you, that clog didn't come out in one full piece (gag), but in many pieces at first, the appetizers if you will. Finally, the main course reared its ugly head. Gross. These things work and work well. A little elbow grease and will power and voilà. My tub drain completely drains now. I couldn't be happier!" —GaPeach
Get a set of three from Amazon for $6.99 (available in two lengths).
8. A jewelry-cleaning stick with cleansing solution on a brush designed specifically to get in the nooks and crannies of your jewelry, so you can dig out all the grime that's accumulated over the years.
Promising review: "My engagement ring had gotten really dull over time. I hadn't even really realized until I came across a picture of when I first got it and noticed it didn't sparkle anymore at all. Which was what I had loved so much. I tried EVERYTHING. Soaps, soaking it in baking soda and a little vinegar and dish soap, rinsing it, etc. and nothing was working. This cleaned it up immediately and completely restored it to its former super-sparkly glory! It gets into all the little crevices and clears away all the fogginess. Will definitely purchase again and again!" —Sheila
Get it from Amazon for $7.99.
9. A broom for pet and human hair that can work on any type of floor, but is specifically designed to pull it up from the carpet faster and deeper than even a lot of vacuums can reach. In less than five minutes you'll find out what color your carpet's *actually* been the whole time!
An embarrassing confession: I do not have a pet, but I shed like nobody's business. My hair gets so ingrained in the carpet that a vacuum truly does nothing for it, so I often was just unrooting clumps of hair from the floor with my hands (sorry for the visual). I bought this broom and it immediately started pulling it up GOBS of hair. My carpet, like, genuinely changed color (turns out the pink was supposed to be much pinker, whoops). Anyway, do with that semi-horrifying information what you will — you can read my full review of the pet hair broom for more deets.
Promising review: "I have two dogs — a terrier mix and a short-hair dachshund mix. I have a navy woven couch that LOVES my dachshund's fur. I have tried pretty much everything to get the fur out — traditional lint roller, those blue fuzzy lint rollers, special vacuum attachments, etc. The terrier's fur comes out great with all of those options. The dachshund's fur, much like the dachshund herself, remains stubbornly on my couch. I got this product as the new 'let's see if it works' item of the month with low expectations. THE FUR ACTUALLY CAME OUT, GUYS. It acts like a broom for my couch — sweeping the fur (with some elbow grease) basically onto the floor where I vacuum it up! Give this a try if my story sounds pretty similar to yours!" —JT
Get it from Amazon for $12.44.
10. An Angry Mama microwave cleaner that uses vinegar and water to blow hot steam into your microwave oven and loosen up all the old food and stains in a mere seven minutes (approximately two Harry Styles songs, if anyone's keeping track).
Promising review: "This product is so amazing, I'm going to get one for all of my children. I am a teacher and I let my students use my microwave. Usually it takes me half an hour of scrubbing after 31 students have made popcorn and heated up lunches. This time I used the product, and I literally spent less than one minute just wiping down the microwave!!! I will now keep one in my classroom and one at my home. A miracle product that actually does what it says, remarkable!!!" —Desiree Barlow
Get it from Amazon for $7.99.
11. A no-scrub weekly shower cleaner you can quite literally "set and forget" to maintain its cleanliness over time — once you apply it after a shower, you just have to wait 8 to 12 hours and it'll quietly tackle the soap scum, grime, oils, mold, and mildew stains without any elbow grease from you.
Promising review: "We cannot BEGIN to tell you what a lifesaver this is! We have two old fiberglass tubs with vinyl shower enclosures that no matter what amount of scrubbing we have done with everything from bleach to cleanser to vinegar and baking soda would NOT come clean. After I took my shower last night, I sprayed down the tub and walls. Within minutes, all the built-up water deposits and dirt and grime began to melt away in front of my eyes. I left it on overnight, and when I got up this morning, it did not look like the same tub and shower. This product is a godsend, especially for old folks like us who have difficulty getting down on our hands and knees and scrubbing anything. More importantly, it performs as advertised. We plan on using it as part of our weekly cleanup routine, in addition to purchasing the Wet & Forget Mold and Mildew Remover for use on the vinyl siding of our house. This is truly an overnight sensation!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $16.89.
12. A bottle of wood polish to instantly make your scuffed up doors, hardwood floors, and furniture look so spanking new that you'll wonder if it's not actually wood polish but a time machine. Why get new tables or fancy professional restoration when you've got a $9 secret weapon??
Promising review: "This stuff is absolutely AMAZING. My wife and I were getting tired of looking at our worn-out cabinets and wood paneling and were very close to paying a professional thousands of dollars to refinish it all, but then we came across this product. Our paneling and cabinets were looking rough. We have two dogs who jumped up and scratched places; we also had an area that was damaged by water spots where our dog bowls were, and several other areas that were just worn from heavy traffic. Take a look at the pictures to see the before-and-afters. This stuff was like a Magic Eraser for water spots, scratches, scuffs, and any other blemish. We simply wiped the product on with a paper towel and let it sit for 20 minutes before wiping it off with a clean towel. Everything looks brand new. I'm buying a couple more so we can finish our cabinets and wood paneling. We're so glad we found this product." —Kris
Get a bottle from Amazon for $8.98.
13. An enzyme-based laundry stain remover that works its magic in one wash to help you instantly get rid of all that discolored dried sweat, oil stains, or deodorant residue on your favorite clothes.
This spray also does a number on all those other miscellaneous stains in your life, like wine, coffee, soy sauce, makeup, and period blood! I recently bought this to test it for myself, and can attest to how well it works to get period blood out even after you've tried something else. I stained a pair of beloved bright-blue bike shorts in my sleep and tried to get it out with soap and water, but the stain was still there when it came out of the wash. I treated it with this, stuck it back in the wash, and BOOM, it's like it never happened (I panicked before I could get a before and after, please forgive me, laundry gods).
Promising review: "This is the BEST stain remover I have ever used.. EVER! This stuff keeps my 2-year-old son's clothes looking new! Anyone who has or has seen a 2-year-old will know how dirty their clothes can get. This has gotten out chocolate, grass, red juice, pasta sauce...you name it! I can literally watch the stains disappear (I know that sounds exaggerated but it’s 100% true. Not only is it the BEST stain remover I’ve ever used, but it’s natural, so I feel safe using it around my child, and you can’t beat the price. You have to try this stuff; once you do you’ll never go back." —whitney palmer
Get it from Amazon for $14.99.
14. A reusable microfiber Swiffer mop pad that reviewers love not only because it's ready for action again right after a wash cycle, but because it picks up a *ton* more dirt, gunk, and debris than the disposable mops do. Your kitchen floor is finally gonna shine ✨.
Promising review: "I bought these for the same reasons most do — to be more environmentally friendly. I like the size of my Swiffer Sweeper, but always felt like I wasn't getting my floors fully clean. We recently got a new apartment, and I always like to deep clean before we do any major moving. I used them dry and wet. I've always been disappointed with how the disposable pads from Swiffer (barely) picked up dog fur and crumbs, but as you can see in the picture it picked up so much! This was already after using a traditional broom. Then using them wet with diluted Mrs. Meyer's cleaning concentrate — wow! The water was BLACK by the time I was all done with our downstairs area. They were so easy to Velcro on and off, wet or dry. Once I was all done, getting them off and doing a quick rinse wasn't hard at all. I love that I am supporting a small family business with all the convenience of Amazon. I will definitely buy again (if I ever have to). I am so excited to use these for years to come and have a cleaner house than I ever have before!!" —Kathryn Willer
Get a two-pack from Amazon for $14.99.
Psst — if you don't already have one, you can get a standard Swiffer on Amazon for $16.84!
15. Plus a reusable Swiffer duster head to avoid allergy-inducing dust buildup in your home *and* save money on replacements. Bonus: This is made with a nonfraying fleece fabric built to pick up dust more effectively and at a broader range than the OG version, thanks to the static it naturally generates.
TS Designs is a Michigan-based Etsy shop established in 2016 that specializes in home products and country, rustic, and vintage-styled gifts and decor.
Psst — the seller notes that this works best with Swiffers with the yellow handle, but also is compatible with the blue handle. You should avoid using fabric softener when washing this duster so it won't lose its static cling.
Promising review: "Great washable duster replacement tops. They vacuum off and wash up easily, and they grab dust and cobwebs every bit as well as the disposable ones I was using. Considering it means putting a bit less into landfills and also saving money in the long run, I only wish I had bought these years ago, sincerely. Also they shipped very promptly and arrived sooner than expected, so that was a pleasant surprise. Thanks!" —otherlings
16. A set of dishwasher-cleaning tablets you can pop into a cycle with your dirty dishes to wipe out all the extra grime and that funky smell you can never seem to get rid of no matter how hard you try. You don't even need to scrub — these do all the work for you!
Promising review: "Saved me from buying a new dishwasher!I have to admit that I was skeptical that this product was actually going to do anything. I’ve noticed my dishwasher wasn’t cleaning dishes very well lately, and I did everything I could to get it working properly again, but was ready to finally give up and buy a new dishwasher. I bought these tablets thinking they were designed to eliminate odors, but I was willing to give them a shot before buying a whole new dishwasher. I put one in the bottom of the dishwasher last night per the instructions and woke up to completely clean dishes for the first time in weeks. They look perfect. I don’t know why these tablets work but they absolutely did and I am a happy customer!" —B. Turner
Get a six-pack from Amazon for $5.99.
17. A fume-free oven cleaner that's gentle enough that you don't need protective gloves to use it, but tough enough that it'll erase the evidence of all your baking misadventures and that time you fell asleep while cooking pizza rolls.
Promising review: "Mine just came in the mail today and I used it right away — it works fantastically! My oven is an electric, probably slightly on the older side, and has been badly stained since before I moved into my current unit. I have tried everything I could think of to get it clean prior to finding this product and nothing worked. But after doing the two-hour treatment it is almost all gone but for a few small specks here and there. I have just sprayed it again to see if those will come off too without an overnight treatment (just out of curiosity; it's perfectly clean as it is). I would recommend this product to anyone that wants an oven cleaner that works and is easy to use." —Lis Zupp
Get it from Amazon for $3.44.
18. A dual-sided device cleaner with two sides — one with an antimicrobial-treated cleaning solution to clear off the grime, and another with a soft polishing buffer to make it gleam.
One side dispenses a cleaning solution that kills bacteria, and the other side polishes the surface off so it looks nice and shiny.
Promising review: "Saw a friend at work using this; she showed me and I had to have one. I wasn't disappointed. Gets all the gunk off my phone, iPad, computer screens, and my kids' Kindles. Getting these for gifts this year. Awesome." —kevin
Get it from Amazon for $15.95.
19. A no-nonsense pumice stone that will make the inside of your toilet look brand spanking new, even if the rings have already thwarted your efforts with the toilet brush.
Promising review: "Awesome for cleaning toilets!! Buy this now if you have hard water stains!! We tried everything on toilets when we bought a house ... We were about to replace toilets and tried this. They look almost new now!! Def prefer the ones with a handle, especially when using on toilets!" —Kindle Customer
Get it from Amazon for $9.99.
20. A glass and ceramic cookware cleanup kit that comes with heavy-duty scrubber, a razor blade, *and* a cleaner specifically designed to get at those caked-on stains, so you can knock it all off in a few minutes and get your Ina Garten game face on in peace.
Promising review: "We bought our cooktop five months ago and it started developing really bad marks and stains. I tried everything to get it off, including baking soda, different detergents, etc. Really thought it was hopeless. We even tried to return our cooktop but because we couldn't we decided to give it one last try. Using the two tool that come with this cleaner we got 100% of the impossible stains off. I could not recommend this product more!!" —luckyrabbit
Get it from Amazon for $11.49.
21. Or a bottle of Bar Keepers Friend soft cleansing liquid and scouring cloth to quickly take care of even long-term, caked-on stains on everything from steel appliances to pans to stove tops to sinks — *without* scratching surfaces.
Promising review: "I used the product on my stainless-steel gas range and it worked amazingly!!!! I have tried so many other things and it was so hard getting the stains from the water (over flow of potatoes and pasta) and oil spills that would burn on to the range off. For a while thought this would be permanent. It bothered me so much to have a clean kitchen and my range would be this way. I let it sit on my range for about 15 minutes because the stains were there for so long then I scrubbed it with the scrub cloth that was provided and you can obviously see the results in my picture. My stove looks as it did when we first moved in our new home. Definitely purchase this, you won’t be disappointed. ☺️" —Ci B.
Read BuzzFeed's full review of Bar Keepers original formula and the soft-cleansing liquid for more deets!
Get it from Amazon for $18.99.
22. A plant-based all-purpose cleaner concentrate that uses mineral-based ingredients to tackle all your most finicky messes, from the toilet bowl to the kitchen sink to whatever sticky thing just decided to leak in your fridge.
Humble Suds is a Colorado-based, woman-owned small business established in 2014 that specializes in plant-based cleaning products.
Promising review: "These are wonderful! I've used other all purpose cleaner concentrates, but they smelled terrible and didn't do much in terms of cleaning. These though! They smell great and definitely help me around the house. I bought one of each scent and I can't wait to try them all." —Megan Henderson
23. A set of heavy-duty wipes that are most definitely not here to play — they're basically the paper towel version of The Rock, and can lift up stains on anything from grease to permanent marker to nail polish. Bonus: They're tough on stains, but the aloe vera in them makes them super gentle on skin!
Promising review: "This stuff really is magical! When we moved into our house, the previous owners did a horrible job of cleaning the stainless-steel appliances. There were permanent run marks going down the front that I could not remove...and I tried EVERYTHING. I should note that I’m not actually positive that these appliances are true stainless steel or just manufactured to look like that. I wanted to cry tears of joy after wiping down the dishwasher because I had been looking at those awful run marks for three years and they were finally gone! The whole tub is worth it for that appliance alone. As of now, I’ve only used it in the kitchen, but I plan on using it the next time I clean out my car, too. If it looks half as good as I think it will, I’ll be a customer for life!" —MayBae
Get a pack of 90 from Amazon for $13.94 (also available in five other sizes).
24. A set of Bottle Bright tablets so you can tackle all those caked-on stains in your bottles, travel mugs, and even coffee makers without scrubbing them into eternity and wasting a small ocean's worth of hot water.
Promising review: "I seriously can't believe how well these little tablets work. I had the most disgusting Hydro Flask coffee mug; I tried everything — bottle brush, different kinds of soap, vinegar, EVERYTHING — and there was still a seemingly impenetrable layer of black sludge inside. It grossed me out so much that I bought ANOTHER Hydro Flask to replace it. Eventually they both got black inside, so I tried these little magic tablets. I let a tablet sit in each of my mugs for an hour or two, and the black sludge rinsed out COMPLETELY, without even scrubbing. They look brand-new. What a magical product. No weird smell or taste afterward, either. I liked it so much that I used it on another Hydro Flask I use primarily to hold my Bloody Mary mix in the fridge. I couldn't put anything else in it because it would always taste like spicy tomato juice. Bottle Bright to the rescue! No residual smell or taste anymore. AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING." —Amazon Customer
Get a set of six from Amazon for $8.
25. A heavy-duty grout cleaner you only need to let sit for 10 minutes before you can scrub the dirt and grime off all those sneaky crevices of your old kitchen and bathroom tiles.
Promising review: "We moved into our house a year ago and I’ve been on a quest to clean the grout next to the stove ever since then. I’ve tried everything — store products, DIY solutions, Pinterest recommendations, you name it. As a last resort I got this and holy cow! I left it on for three minutes as a spot test at first and I could already see a huge difference. I then did two more rounds letting it sit for five minutes each. The scent's not bad, it was fine if I had the window open, it was just being down close to it that got me. Seriously, stop looking and buy this." —Britney Phillips
Get it from Amazon for $19.95.
26. A bottle of jetted tub cleaner so easy to use that literally all you have to do is run your bath water, pour in the cleaner, and run your jets.
Promising review: "I have been wanting to get this product for a long time!!! My jetted tub was disgusting. I tried everything else. All of the Pinterest ideas that people claim work like a charm. Vinegar never worked. This stuff has made my jets sparkling!!! I did have to use mine two times since my tub was so bad. There are four uses per bottle. TOTALLY WORTH IT!" —Cpane
Get it from Amazon for $16.99.
27. A mold and mildew removal gel you can leave on the offending spots in kitchens and bathrooms for six hours, then wipe away like nothing nefarious ever grew there in the first place.
WE SUPPORT A BEAUTIFUL LIE!!
Promising review: "You guys. I’m embarrassed to even tell you this. But the grout around our tub was DISGUSTING. It was never caulked right and it got gross very quickly. I would scrub. The cleaning lady would scrub. It would get worse. Well, I was scrolling through FB as you do and came across one of those BuzzFeed lists: 20 cleaning products under $20 from Amazon you cannot live without...or some such nonsense. I am a sucker for those damn lists. But this stuff made me curious. I don’t know why it doesn’t have 10,000 good reviews. Seriously. All I did was squeeze it on and walk away. I let it sit overnight. Check this out. Buy it. Like today." —KarynB
Get it from Amazon for $13.99.
28. A no-waste dish block you can keep on the side of your sink and rub your brush into — it'll create suds that cut through residue and grease *and* keep all your dishes streak free and squeaky clean.
Psst — you can also use this to spot treat laundry, stains on the carpet, and take labels off jars!
No Tox Life is a mother/daughter-owned, Texas-based Etsy shop established in 2015 that specializes in vegan bath, body, and home care.
Promising review: "So happy to find the shipping material was also plastic free. This is my first dish bar that I’ve tried and I’m really pleased! I cut it up into four so I don’t have the whole block out (cut with a serrated knife when it’s fully dry). I use it with a bristle brush and it washes nicely! Sufficient suds and cuts grease, too. I am sold and will fully switch from liquid dish soap to this." —MM
29. An electric pressure washer you can use alllllllll over your outside space on everything from the deck to the house to the outdoor furniture. Come for the cleanliness, stay for the ridiculously satisfying results.
Promising review: "I love this washer. It competes with my 2,200-psi gas-powered pressure washer, which in fact I sold to keep this. But doesn't have the noisy gas engine or the heavy weight. Easy to move around lightweight and has great power. Very quiet. I love all the attachments and the different stream types. The soap dispenser works well. I'm cleaning everything, my deck, my house, the garage doors, the concrete slab. It takes off all the dirt and mold from the old concrete stairs and sidewalk." —Tim S.
Get it from Amazon for $154.34.