2. Alexis was labeled “different” and “difficult” during elementary and middle school. She was bullied and teased for her speech impediment and eventually stopped talking to avoid attention, descending into self-abusive behavior.
5. Alexis was able to develop strategies for coping with her condition during her last year of middle school. Encouraged by her family, she joined the cross-country team, cheerleading squad, and drama group in high school.
Alexis with her older sister Danielle (L) and twin sister Amanda ®.
8. Since her crowning, Alexis has formed partnerships with special needs groups Autism Speaks, AbilityPath and Generation Rescue and spoken at schools and autism conferences around Montana.
Alexis at the Childwise Autism and Asperger’s Disorder Conference in September.
12. Alexis speaks about her condition in her official Miss America 2013 video:
- The Democratic National Committee on Monday apologized for remarks sent over email criticizing the Bernie Sanders campaign 🇺🇸
- At least 15 people died and 45 others were injured in a knife attack at a facility for the disabled near Tokyo, Japan.
- Verizon is buying Yahoo's core business for about $5 billion, ending the web pioneer's run as an independent company.