35 Little Things That'll Improve Your Apartment For Under $20
Sometimes some refreshed-looking kitchen cabinets can make all the difference.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Wood polish and conditioner that'll totally revamp those worn-out wooden cabinets you have to live with, along with curbside finds and hand-me-down furniture that's seen better days but will have to make do 'til you move to a bigger place. Putting in a bit of elbow grease will leave you with some dramatic before and after pics.
2. A faux-sheepskin rug you can throw on your ugliest arm chair and turn into your throne where you'll wield the most important of decisions, like which series to binge-watch this weekend.
4. Or a fairy light photo display with lil' clips so you can easily swap out the photos as you please. It'll create a lovely feature and help add another light source (every room needs three!), which will be especially welcome if you live in a place that has no ceiling light!
5. A fresh new set of switch plates that'll help 'em blend into those (hopefully!) freshly painted walls, even if the landlord painted the switch plates to match (YOU CAN STILL TELL). Can you screw in a screw? Then you can handle this transformative swap.
6. A rust stain-removing gel to remove rusty stains and discolorations from the previous tenant that bleach hasn't cut through just yet. It's time to feel like you're ACTUALLY clean after a shower.
7. A minimalist tissue box cover that'll help you address your sniffles without messing up your interior aesthetic. You may be residing in an apartment rn but who said you'd never own a house?
8. A scratch-off state map as a cool reminder to finally take that road trip out west on the rare occasion you'll actually want to leave your palace.
9. A roll of decorative window film that'll give ya' some privacy without taking up the space of curtains or blocking out natural light! I put up some of this on my own bathroom window and it's FLOODED with beautiful natural light but no one can see that I'm flossing my teeth while naked. The freedom!
10. Dishwasher-cleaning tablets because YES! you scored a place with one! But it also seems ancient and barely works. Run one of these through it for a transformative cleaning experience.
11. A slim cutlery organizer here to prove that you *do* have room for all your cutlery in your tiny kitchen drawer! Scoot over, forks. (Who even designs rental kitchens? Rats?!)
12. A Tubshroom that'll catch an ALARMING amount of hair that'd otherwise go down your drain and eventually lead to a messy clog. (FYI: once you see a drain snaked, you can't unsee it.)
13. Velvet throw pillow covers for cozying up your spot on the couch AND distracting from how, TBH, you could really use a new sofa.
14. A plant-watering bird that'll keep your plant babes hydrated and looking like their best selves, even if you currently can't be described in that way. You already invested in that plant, let's keep it looking great.
15. An adorable (but loud!) alarm clock with a glow-in-the-dark face because maybe it's time you graduated to something besides just setting five alarms on your phone.
16. A glitzy bathroom set to bring some uniformity to your sink area instead of whatever OK-smelling hand soap was the cheapest at T.J.Maxx on your last haul.
17. A 3-D printed planter to let you display some tasteful nudes while taking care of all your plant bbs. (Though IMO you should go for the less "tasteful" stuff too.)
18. A hanging frame helper so you can finally get all your wall art up and make it feel like home. (You can only lean so many frames prints against the wall as a "look.")
19. Under-cabinet lights that'll make your kitchen look so much more expensive and help set a mood that'll actually make you wanna cook.
20. A celestial hanging garland – it'll pair nicely with other wall art or can hang solo as a way to fill up some empty wall space.
22. A shower curtain liner with storage pockets and double-hook curtain hooks for a streamlined bathing experience. Whether you live solo and hoard products (like me) or live with three other people, this will bring some organization to your shower and help you tell the different between your face wash and shampoo at the crack of dawn.
23. A marble lookalike of self-adhesive film because a bath remodel is not in the stars but you can fake a new countertop on the cheap. All ya' need is this and a bit of patience.
25. A tea bag organizer so you can finally reclaim your cabinet space because your roommate (or maybe you?!) has taken over the spice cabinet with boxes on boxes on boxes. It's time for a very neat change.
26. Fridge bin liners that'll absorb extra moisture in an effort to keep your produce fresher for longer. PLUS, they'll catch the brunt of messy spills and will be so much easier to clean than taking a drawer out of the fridge and awkwardly scrubbing it down in your sink. I've done that before and it's not great!
27. Eucalyptus leaves to hang up in your shower to provide some luxe-feeling aromatherapy when it teams up with your shower steam. Also it just LOOKS nice. (I currently have some in my shower.)
28. 3D mirrored butterflies you can stick on your wall as you please and make your place feel like YOU — even if your lease says you can't paint!
29. A nice lil' sticker that'll double as an affirmation on your bathroom mirror for those days when you're feeling pretty meh.
30. Stove burner covers to help you catch the mess right away on gas stovetops. As a person who has one in my own rental apartment, I can say that it gets dirty SO fast there. And you can even run them through the dishwasher!
31. An outlet-charging shelf that'll give ya a spot to park your phone or a speaker. It's more or less just creating a shelf out of thin air!
32. Flameless candles in case you tend to forget a candle is lit, have a roommate who has a history of that forgetful behavior, or live with some destructive kids. Here's to setting a ~mood~ you won't worry about.
33. A nightlight for your bed that'll make you feel like you're staying at a fancy hotel as you step around that pile of clothes that fell off "the chair" in the middle of the night.
34. A cheery lil' welcome mat made of tough material that'll actually help clean off your shoes and stand the test of time... as long as some meddling kids from down the hall don't steal it.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.