24 Cleaning Tips Parents Will Wish They'd Known About Sooner
Because you can't assign a robot vacuum to stalk each kid. Well, maybe you could. But that isn't the most cost-efficient.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. First, ~safely~ store your cleaning supplies so kids can't get into the potentially harmful chemicals.
2. Toddler-proof your floor coverings by investing in a washable Ruggable rug that's better at handling spills and stains.
4. Speaking of mobile germ catchers, give your phone and tablets regular wipe downs with alcohol sanitizing cloths, especially before you pass them off to the tot to keep them quiet at a restaurant.
6. Add a doormat to both the inside and outside of your entry doors...that way you can stop more dirt from entering your home and easily switch the welcome wagon when you feel like it.
7. Clean those car seats! One study found they typically harbor TWICE as many germs as a toilet seat.
8. Clean up seat-ruining messes with an upholstery cleaner that'll undo whatever it is your kids are doing to your backseats.
9. And guard the back of your seats with protective kick mats because no matter how many times you say "Stop kicking!" your kids keep on doing it like it's their job. It'll be much easier to clean dirt and grime off the mats instead of your seats.
10. Wipe a pacifier or toy that fell on the ground with your shirt instead of cleaning it with your mouth.
14. And keep disposable soap sheets handy in case you're out in a public bathroom without soap (ick). The cute bear carrying case might just encourage some hand washing too.
15. Loosen stuck-on debris from a high chair by spraying it with a white vinegar-and-dish soap solution and plastic putty knife.
16. Throw hard plastic toys — especially Legos — in a mesh laundry bag and then in the dishwasher to sanitize them.
20. And conquer other stains with Grandma's Secret, an under-the-radar solution with serious stain-removing prowess, a chance on messes and stains that make you do some — like, cleaning pen from a white leather couch.
23. Avoid mold-prone toys and follow a toy manufacturer's directions for cleaning.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.