1. Epilepsy is a brain disorder that causes seizures, which are basically like electric storms in your brain.
2. Not everyone with epilepsy has convulsive, jerking seizures.
3. When someone's having a convulsive seizure, keep them safe, supported, and on their side.
4. NEVER force something into the mouth of someone having a seizure.
5. Please remain with the person after they have a seizure to calm and reassure them.
6. Seizures are scary!
7. Epilepsy is actually not unlike The Wizard of Oz.
8. Seizure “hangovers” are the absolute worst.
9. Seizures aren't just triggered by flashing lights.
10. Having a seizure isn't the same as having epilepsy.
11. Medications can control seizures in most people with epilepsy.
12. Even though there are risks associated with taking anti-seizure medication during pregnancy, for many it would be riskier to stop treatment.
13. People with epilepsy can lead very active lives.
14. Driving is...complicated.
15. Epilepsy is probably more common than you think.
16. And we're in good company with lots of famous people.
17. People with epilepsy are strong and resilient as hell.
Thumbnail image: Gerd Altmann / Creative Commons / Via pixabay.com