The very last episode of Game of Thrones aired on Sunday, which means that — unless George R. R. Martin kicks it into turbo gear — we won't be getting any new GoT content any time soon...
But we do have the wide, wonderful world of Game of Thrones fanfiction to help us fill in the gaps from the show and imagine all the alternate storylines we could possibly want!
So, to help all you fans achieve a little closure (and maybe work through some frustrations with that finale), here are 15 of the best and most creative Game of Thrones fanfiction stories we've come across:
1. If you're super invested in Arya, read "Blood and Waters."
2. If you're still not over Season 8, Episode 5 ("The Bells"), read "The Bells Toll for King's Landing."
This short story takes the perspective of one of the Lannister swordsmen as he witnesses the fall of King's Landing and the havoc that Drogon and Daenerys brings upon the city's residents.
3. If a small part of you died when Ser Jorah died, read "The Dragon's Lament."
4. If you miss all that Tywin Lannister and Arya Stark banter, read "A Wolf Amongst Lions."
Remember back when Tywin made Arya his cupbearer, not knowing her true identity? Well, what if he DID know, and tried to use her as a bargaining chip in the war with Robb Stark? Over 85 chapters (buckle up), this saga explores how everything could have turned out differently, and also includes plenty of that great Tywin vs. Arya banter that was the best part of Season 2.
5. If you need even more ~Gendrya,~ read "Game of Thrones — Pain & Passion."
6. If you're a history nerd, read "The Iron Emperor."
What if Napoleon Bonaparte, as his army was retreating from the Russian frontier, came up against the Wall, the Night's Watch, and of course, the Night King??? This story's got seven very meaty chapters full of historical references and real world x Westeros crossover.
7. If you want more ~Arya as assassin but also time traveler~ content, read "People to Kill."
8. If you had a huge crush on Jaime Lannister, read "A Vow Without Honor."
This one's a good old fashioned romance fanfic, revolving around Jaime Lannister and an original character, Myra Stark, who's apparently the twin sibling of Robb Stark. Cue romantic tension and a lot of Kingslayer thirst.
9. If you think we should have gotten more scenes with Cersei at the end, read "Inevitable."
10. If you're a Stannis fan (a Stan-nis?), read "The Sons of Dragonstone."
This Baratheon-centric saga explores an alternate universe where Stannis did have sons, and they all lived to adulthood and helped their father exact revenge on everyone who took the throne away from their family. Apparently there's a Robb/Shireen romance in this one, so, ya know, do with that what you will.
11. And also, "Wounds."
12. If you've ever wondered what it would have been like if Sansa just left with the Hound in Season 2, read "King of Winter, King of Rivers, King of Ice And Snow."
This one's only three chapters in, but it poses interesting questions about what an alternative route for Sansa to return to Winterfell could have looked like, especially if she was able to help Robb keep the crown and his head.
13. If you love Jon and Arya's reunion before "The Long Night," read "At the Dawn."
14. If you wish we'd gotten more of Maester Aemon, read "The Night Dragons."
This saga, which has NINETY chapters, follows the story of Maester Aemon who, as you might recall, was a Targaryen: "Before the battle at Castle Black, Maester Aemon tasked Grenn with delivering a message to his niece in Mereen. After the battle, Maester Aemon reveals that he has kept secrets of his own while serving at Castle Black, including two dragon eggs."