2. Forced perspective was used instead of CGI to make it look like Buddywas a giant.
Just like the hobbits in the Lord of the Rings movies.
3. Will Ferrell had a load of health problems due to all the sugar he ate while filming.
He suffered from headaches and lack of sleep.
As a sidenote, those cotton balls Buddy eats in the doctor’s office? Cotton candy:
4. Does the costume Buddy wears look familiar? That’s because it’s heavily inspired by the ones the elves wear in the claymation classic Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.
The Christmas classic was a big influence on Elf, especially the claymation scenes.
8. Will Ferrell’s reactions in this scene are totally genuine. Director Jon Favreau used a remote control to manually pop the jack-in-the-boxes in order to surprise Will Ferrell.
9. Jon Favreau also did the voice of Mr. Narwhal for the movie.
And he had another cameo as Buddy’s doctor:
He also directed the first two Iron Man films.
10. The actor who played Ralphie in A Christmas Story makes a cameo as an elf in the film.
Peter Billingsley plays an uncredited role.
11. Will Ferrell turned down $29 million to do a sequel to Elf.
14. The raccoon that attacks Buddy makes monkey sounds instead of whatever sound a raccoon makes.
15. The infamous “throne of lies” scene had to be shot in one take, as the set was too extensive to rebuild for another shot.
17. People were so shocked to see Will Ferrell in costume walking around Central Park and the Lincoln Tunnel that several traffic accidents were reported.
18. Finally, while this may be heartbreaking, you need to know: There aren’t that many buttons in the Empire State Building’s elevators.
IT’S ALL A LIE!
All facts via IMDB and the film’s commentary.
This post has been updated to meet our attribution standards.
- Trump's pick for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, could face a contentious confirmation hearing — at least by the standards of the position.
- A Trump adviser is presenting himself as an unlikely go-between in an effort to help global elites understand Trump.
- Birth control startups are seeing a spike in demand because many women are nervous coverage will disappear under Trump.
- You can now dig through the CIA's secret history. 12 millions declassified docs are on the internet for all to see 🤓📚