27 Cleaning Products Anyone Who Inherited Someone Else's Mess Will Really Appreciate
Finally, conquer the messes that have been taunting you since move-in day.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A reusable pumice stone to quickly rid your toilets, sinks, and tubs of the unsightly brown rings you took no part in creating.
2. A plant-based stainless steel cleaner that'll eliminate the seemingly permanent layer of streaks, smudges, and grubby fingerprints preventing your stainless-steel appliances from living up to their "stainless" title.
3. A dryer vent cleaning kit that attaches to your vacuum so you can suck lint and other debris (aka major fire hazards) from all the narrow crevices you're positive the last person living here never thought to check.
4. A flexible drain snake with a clog-catching micro-hook head and rotating handle if your drains never quite drain water like they should. Just keep a barf bag nearby for when you pull up the wet, hairy monster that's made a den in your pipes.
5. A pack of biodegradable foaming drain cleaning tablets for taking care of all the out-of-sight grime that's living in your garbage disposal and causing that stench you're getting just a little too used to having around.
6. A microfiber window blind cleaner because it's obvious the previous owner never did more than a cursory dusting. This thing's got three blades so you can really get in there and clean the tops and bottoms of two blinds at once.
7. Some fizzing Johnny Drops to give your toilet a cleansing spa treatment without all that tiring scrubbing. It's basically a bath bomb but for your porcelain throne.
8. A cleaning brush that can go where no sponge or rag has gone before. Its ultra-thin design can fit into those hard-to-reach window and door tracks and the handle doubles as a scraper for stuck-on debris.
9. A TikTok-famous pink cleaning paste so you can tackle all those annoying scuffs and stains left behind for you to handle without endless, abrasive scrubbing that might end up damaging the surface underneath.
10. A fume-free oven cleaner if your stove came "pre-loved" and covered in years of baked-on grease and stubborn stains you'd like to turn back the clock on without making your home smell like a vat of chemicals.
11. A natural carpet deodorizing powder made with a mix of baking soda and borax for getting rid of the mysterious smell lingering in your carpet. Just sprinkle it around the room, let it sit for 15 minutes, and then vacuum like normal.
12. A jetted bathtub cleaner because you're not trying to get blasted by the filth left behind by the previous owners every time you turn on the tub's jets. Avoid that grossness and fill the tub with water, pour in the cleaner, run your jets, and let the "yuck" seep out.
13. A hard water stain remover that doubles as a protective sealant to get rid of the film making your shower glass look permanently foggy and protect against future stains. Side effects might include running into your nearly invisible shower door — it'll be that clean.
14. A set of drill brush scrubber attachments to eliminate caked-on soap grime with a fraction of the usually required elbow grease. Charge up your standard electric drill, attach the right brush head for the job, and let the modern luxury of motorized rotation cut through grime quicker than your sad sponge ever could.
15. Dishwasher cleaning tablets so you can do the most adult thing I can think of and deep clean the thing that cleans your dishes. Good thing these tablets make giving your machine a deep internal clean as easy as...well...running the dishwasher.
16. A pack of reusable Swiffer covers if you've been dismayed by the number of disposable mop covers you've gone through trying to scrub your floors into squeaky clean submission.
17. A fast-drying grout paint pen for help covering up those dingy stains living in your tile cracks. Think of it like one of those adult coloring books — fill in the lines and bask in your ~artistic~ sensibilities.
18. A nonscratch cooktop cleaning kit because you don't trust those mystery stains on your ceramic cooktop, and this kit has everything you need to take it from always vaguely greasy to ~glowing~.
19. A powerful mold and mildew stain cleaner to lift the most daunting grout and caulking stains without the back-breaking scrubbing. Just apply the concentrated gel formula, wait six to eight hours, and watch your stains (and your worries) wash down the drain.
20. A lightweight carpet shampooer that'll lift years worth of caked-on stains from the last owner's pets so your pets have a fresh surface to wreak havoc on. Thankfully, this gizmo will also help keep your carpet clean without shelling out the big bucks for professional cleaners.
21. A wood polish so you can treat those very charming but very old built-in cabinets with a combination of beeswax and orange oil that conditions and protects wood while working its magic to hide dings and scratches.
22. An all-natural scour paste if you're looking to declutter your cleaning supplies and snag one multipurpose product that can remove questionable films, grime, and grease from a wide range of surfaces — tiles, ovens, baths, oh my!
23. A pack of washing machine tablets for complete confidence that the hand-me-down washer that cleans your clothes is actually clean — with no scrubbing required! Just pop a tablet inside your empty washer and run through a cycle like normal for a shiny, deodorized washer drum.
24. A pack of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers you can use virtually anywhere to make walls, tubs, windows, floors, and more look like new again. Now, that's a neat magic trick!
25. An all-purpose car cleaner that'll erase any trace that you lent your car out to the messiest person you know and leave every plastic, leather, rubber, carpet, and fabric nook and cranny squeaky-clean without the expensive trip to the detailer.
26. A gutter scoop so you can spare your hands from the terrifying sludge fest left behind in the gutters and get all those dead leaves and mud out of there without, ya know, actually touching it.
27. And a sweet-smelling fabric freshener if the mess you're inheriting is your pet's love of rubbing their wet fur smell all over every throw blanket in the house. Give it a spritz, enjoy the fresh scent, and maybe find a better hiding spot for your favorite Netflix binge blanket.
The reviews for this post have been edited for length and clarity.