How to advertise a challenger brand, 101.
Above are the two main ads that launched the Volkswagen brand in America.
“Lemon” ad copy starts: “This Volkswagen missed the boat. The chrome strip on the glove compartment is blemished, and must be replaced.”
It was shocking, to say the least, for an auto brand to call their car a lemon.
What made the ad even more appealing than the shock value, was that the Bug was in fact (and still is) shaped like a lemon.
To say “Think Small” with regard to autos in 1960 was revolutionary.
Most American car ads from the era looked exactly like this.
Bigger was better, the bigger the better.
But Volkswagen never shied away from this startling, risky strategy.
This worked out pretty damn well for them.
VW’s ad agency was Doyle Dane Bernbach, with the great Bill Bernbach leading the creative department.
There are about 200 or so 1960s VW ads available online.
I picked my 50 favorites (with a couple of early 1970s executions).
10. A 1963 ad that flat-out challenged you to not read the copy.
25. When dropped into a lake, it would float and bob for several minutes, before sinking.
26. The count was exactly 1,612,462 beans.
That’s not MS paint, just paint.
“…The Volkswagen is 4 feet shorter than standard wagons, but only 9 inches longer than the Volkswagen Sedan. It parks like a little sports car. Yet inside, you can carry more stuff than any wagon made…”
38. Selling your car without showing your car just wasn’t done in the 1960s.
40. True story.
46. One of the best print ads ever.
This ad ran in Life magazine on August 8th of 1969, just two weeks after the astronauts returned safely to Earth. The ad agency obviously had it in the can, ready to run, and probably sent film of it and a back-up ad to Life, just in case.
49. Brilliant true story testimonial ad from 1971.
- Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new National Security Adviser, replacing Michael Flynn, who resigned last week.
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- Senator Ron Wyden will soon introduce legislation requiring warrants before phones can be searched at the US border.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎