1. "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" holds the record for the longest theatrical release in film history.
2. Mick Jagger wanted to play Dr. Frank N. Furter in the film.
3. And Steve Martin auditioned for the role of Brad.
4. Brad and Janet's radio broadcasted Richard Nixon's 1974 resignation speech as they drove in the rain.
5. The actors weren't told of the corpse under the dining room tablecloth. When Frank 'n' Furter reveals it, their looks of horror were completely genuine.
6. And the skeleton in the clock is supposedly real.
7. Richard O'Brien (Riff Raff) wrote "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" as well as the 1973 musical and book.
8. Patricia Quinn (Magenta) initially turned down the film role, but later agreed to join as long as she could lip-sync "Science Fiction - Double Feature" in the opening. She loved that song in the play.
9. Meatloaf never rode the motorcycle in the film. A stunt double was used except for the close-ups. For those scenes, Meatloaf was pushed in a wheelchair.
10. In the opening wedding scene the minister is Tim Curry (Dr. Frank N. Furter), the "old man" to his left is Richard O'Brien (Riff Raff) and the "wife" to his right is Patricia Quinn (Magenta).
11. Quinn's hair was not dyed, but SPRAYED RED every single day of shooting.
12. It was Tim Curry's feature film debut.
13. The red triangle Dr. Frank 'n' Furter wears over his heart was used by the Nazis in concentration camps to denote that the wearer was a gay man, but it was pointing downward. The triangle pointing upward is often used as a symbol of gay pride.
14. Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick are the only Americans in lead roles.
15. Tim Curry, Patricia Quinn and Nell Campbell reprise the same roles here that they'd played in the original stage production.
16. The set had no heat and no bathrooms during filming. When Sarandon mentioned it to the studio heads, they said she was complaining too much. She caught pneumonia after filming the pool scene.
17. Peter Hinwood (Rocky Horror) had never acted before and was just a model. His cast members were pleasantly surprised by his performance.
18. Pierre La Roche, David Bowie's personal makeup artist, served as the "original makeup designs creator."
19. At the midnight showings, not only do patrons dress up, they bring props. There are no hard-and-fast rules on props, but the following is a list of some of the most common:
20. Dr. Frank N. Furter's "castle" was shot partially at Oakley Court which also served as the set for numerous Hammer horror films. It was built in 1859, refurbished in 1981 and is now a luxury hotel.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!