I went to the Grease: Live run-through taping the day before the show was broadcast across the country. Here are some secrets directly from Rydell High that you probably didn't catch on TV:
1. They were anticipating torrential rain for the live show.
2. The audience were told to dress up in '50s clothes, but were told to avoid the "costume" look.
3. There were multiple sets spread across the Warner Bros. lot with multiple audiences at each set.
4. The different audiences were moved around A LOT between scenes.
5. The audience were told when to react and when not to react during the scenes.
6. There were last-minute adjustments, like the "R" decal in the gym.
7. Being in the audience meant you didn't see the show in its entirety.
8. The cast were literally RUNNING through the different sets between scenes.
9. The sets were very detailed and very immersive.
10. During the sleepover scene at Frenchy's, the boys and girls were filming from two different locations.
11. Some costume changes happened in front of the audience mid-scene.
Between scenes, I occasionally caught the cast undressing themselves as they would run off stage. During Danny's try-outs scene, Aaron went behind the camera and ripped off his wrestling sweats to reveal his basketball outfit, then quickly ran back on camera to reveal the change.