16. We love our football more than anyone else in the world – win or lose.
There’s nothing quite like St. James’ Park, the Stadium of Light, or the Riverside rocking on a Saturday afternoon.
And that passion is present all the way down: from Hartlepool, Darlington and Gateshead through to the teams in the Northern League.
17. We like our football heroes to be local, just like Peter Beardsley…
18. …or Bob Stokoe.
19. But we’ll make the odd exception for the likes of Juninho.
20. But wherever they’re from, people in the north east know how to pay tribute to our heroes.
One fan took his dedication to the next level, getting Robson’s face tattooed on his thigh.
(Which is brilliant because people from outside the area get trapped on the causeway between the island and the mainland.)
34. We’re pretty amazing at music, too. From the Animals…
35. …To Sting…
36. …To Maximo Park.
37. Or prefer banging pop songs? We’re the home of Cheryl Cole.
38. For years we were the hub of music, art and culture on a nightly basis. The Tube came from Tyne Tees’ City Road studios every week.
If you were a child of the 80s, you needed to watch this. Jools Holland, Paula Yates and Leslie Ash barely keeping control of a manic riot of live TV.