4. They know how to treat the ladies.
Dolphins, even more so than primates (the only other animal besides humans known to do this), gather weeds or sticks to present to their ladies. At first, scientists just believed they were being playful when they noticed that it was mostly adult male dolphins who were showing off with their sticks. That, and they mostly did it around females. The dolphins with the best bling? Way more likely to be Father’s.
6. They are trained Navy Seals…er…Dolphins?
“Officer Flipper, reporting for duty”. Apparently, dolphins were trained and armed with hypodermic needles to protect the U.S. Navy base in Vietnam. Anyone swimming in the water was killed! This report has been denied by the Navy BUT there is still a U.S. Navy Marine Mammal program. Basically, the U.S. is training dolphins to kick ass and take names. Look to the next fact and you’ll see that they actually do!
7. They have names! No, really. They have names for each other.
Recent research shows that dolphins can call out to each other specifically, by mimicking the distinct whistle of the dolphin they want. They do it to identify objects as well. This is the only animal who can do this outside of humans (at least that we know of…)
8. They have midwives!
When a dolphin gives birth, a dolphin “midwife” is there to help make sure the baby is delivered safely. The other dolphins in the community will circle the one giving birth to protect it from any intruders or eager Aunts with cameras.
10. Don’t let those smiles deceive you, they are bonafide shark killers!
Dolphins use their noses to kill sharks. They’ll even circle around the shark to maximize attack! So, if you encounter a shark, you better hope there’s a dolphin around to save the day.
14. They don’t breath automatically.
Not so smart. Unlike humans, dolphins don’t breathe automatically. That means they have to sleep where their blowholes can be on the surface. Also, they are only half a sleep when they do get that shut eye. Seems stressful, but dolphins are so cool, they get over it.
16. And they’re patriotic!
Uncle Sam would be proud.
- One person died and more than 100 others were injured after a commuter train crashed into a New Jersey Transit station in Hoboken.
- Fans of Donald Trump say Bill Clinton's past indiscretions are fair game at the next debate.
- Asos workers at the heart of its global retail empire say they're being treated like machines to deliver fast fashion.