Michelle Kwan is a golden name in the world of ice skating. She's considered one of the most decorated figure skaters in U.S. History.
1. Growing up, Asians in the media were a rarity. This is the reason Michelle Kwan stood out to me.
2. Michelle's facial expressions were always powerful.
She evoked some strong emotions and made us feel them too.
3. Her costumes were things to be envious of.
Look at that sparkle!
4. Her smile and happiness were infectious.
5. And her disappointments were always handled gracefully.
6. Even with my limited skating knowledge, I knew she was skilled.
7. The golden dragon necklace she wears during competitions is from her grandmother and serves as her good luck charm.
When I was younger I had a copy of this necklace from one of her book sets, and I literally wore it everywhere!
8. Her 1999 portrayal as Mulan in Disney's Greatest Hits on Ice was a memorable performance.
9. She also did a Pocahontas program in 1997 at the Honda Prelude Cup open figure skating competition.
10. Her height is 5'2", proving that short girls rule.
11. She had a super-short hair phase and looked fabulous.
12. I spent hours playing the computer game Michelle Kwan Figure Skating, which allowed you to create your own skating program.
13. From a young age, she had that star quality AND knew how to pose.
14. As a nerdy and skinny child, I was never considered athletic or powerful. Michelle was proof that looks are deceiving.
Michelle on the left and author on the right.
15. One time, I dressed up as Michelle Kwan for a book report presentation.
I read and reread her book many times, Michelle Kwan: Heart of a Champion. There was an amazing flip-book feature in the bottom corners of the pages.