2. She said that when Lawrence spotted director Alfonso Cuarón, she started screaming, and then told him, “I broke out my rape scream for you!”
The reporter said Lawrence then started “shaking her head like a crazed fan, or a woman in distress, into his face”. Cuarón “seemed quite pleased”.
4. Some have defended her:
6. For others, this has only confirmed that they don’t like her:
8. And for some, there is NO EXCUSE and they are AS MAD AS THEY’VE EVER BEEN:
10. Others are more concerned about the sexist elements of the “backlash”:
11. Many outraged journalists are demanding Lawrence apologise, citing the other problematic things she’s done in the past.
As a writer at Bustle wrote, “This time, J. Law needs to sack up and apologize for her off-hand and off-color comment. Just because she’s the most GIF-able celebrity of the moment doesn’t earn her a free pass to make light of something so painful. Candor is one thing; ignorance is another.”
Perhaps — just perhaps — a rape joke supposedly overheard by a reporter isn’t quite enough to whip up a full-on, proper Twitterstorm.