28 Practical Pet Products That Are Every Bit As Useful As They Are Easy To Use
From stylish-yet-practical carriers to the most durable leashes on the market.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. An extremely durable pet carrier that's great for traveling with your pup, as well as offering them a safe space to sleep while on the go. After trying a variety of different pet carriers, this bag is my favorite thanks to its spacious design, sturdy silhouette, top handles, messenger strap, and thick-yet-see-through mesh paneling (many of the other carriers I've tried are SO dark and my little man just isn't about it).
2. A Top Paw super-wide convertible pet gate for folks looking for ways to keep their pet(s) safe without putting them in a crate for long periods of time. This sturdy pet gate can be assembled as a gate or configured into a pen with extra panels. Just keep in mind that, standing at 28 inches tall, it's best for small and medium-sized dogs, as larger dogs could jump over it if they wanted to.
3. A set of swivel pet stairs so your pet can easily get onto the bed, couch, or chair. The stairs can be aligned straight or finagled around the corner of a bed or couch. What's more, the stairs are hollow and have a latched door, so you can store pet products in it to keep them out of sight.
4. A faux fur orthopedic dog bed that looks more like a high-end sheepskin than a waterproof pup bed. The cult-favorite dog bed is made with four layers, the top of which is removable and machine-washable, and the second topmost is waterproof to protect the other two layers from soiling. In other words, it's one of the most practical dog beds on the market.
5. A top-selling pet ramp to ensure your pup can easily get into and out of the car. The folding ramp weighs about 10 pounds and can support up to 150 pounds. Additionally, it's lined with a nonslip mat that will help give your pup more traction while on it.
6. A backpack designed specifically to carry your pet around on your back. It's roomy, water-resistant, and perfect for puppies who aren't quite the best leash walkers.
7. A Petmate kennel that will quickly become a safe space for your pup. I put Cash (my pup) in his at night and he sleeps like a baby. I also use it on long car rides, as it has a seatbelt slot so that you can easily secure it in your backseat. What's more, there's a little compartment on the top where you can store treats for your pup. It's a win all around.
8. A booster seat for your small pet so they can see out the window whenever you take them on a ride. It comes with three stabilizing attachments, so in addition to giving them the best view, it keeps them safe, too.
9. A Snuggle Puppy, so your pup won't feel quite as alone when you're not around. What seems like a slightly larger toy is actually a behavioral aid device complete with a heartbeat that can be turned on and off. Take it from someone who has one for her puppy: It's life-changing!
10. A self-cleaning litter box for cats who always have to go and cat parents who hate having to clean up after them. The automated litter box scoops waste away to keep the box and surrounding area smelling fresh for days on end. It might be pricey, but it will make your life so much easier, so it's a very practical and very easy to use purchase.
11. A cult-favorite Wild One pet carrier that's now available in the brand's signature green spruce color. The airline-approved carrier is unique in that, when unzipped, the side unfurls into a mat that your pup can lay on. What's more, it has a side pocket so you can bring along your phone, wallet, and keys without fumbling them in your hands. In other words, it's very practical.
12. A pop-up playpen for pups and pup parents who like to stay on the go. Whether you're headed to a winery, relative's house, or friend's baby shower in the future, having this little playpen on hand will let you confine your puppy so that they can't get into any trouble. It folds down easily and comes in a convenient carrying bag.
13. A durable tote bag that can be used to carry around small pups and their belongings. It's made of all-weather woven fabric so it doesn't matter if something spills or if your pup has an accident in it. And, since there are two pockets on the front, you can even use it to carry your phone, wallet, and keys, so you won't have to turn lug around multiple bags just because you got a puppy.
14. A Paw Plunger paw cleaner for your pup's dirty paws — and, inadvertently, your floors. The handy little mug is filled with soft bristles to easily clean your pup's footpads. Simply fill with a little bit of water, plunge, and ogle over just how well it works.
15. A jumbo pack of disposable pee pads so your pup will be able to sniff their way to the right place to go potty. The pads are designed with pheromones to draw your pup in. Once they potty, it absorbs liquid and neutralizes the odor.
16. An artificial grass pad to train your pup to go potty on grass. While you can use this at any stage of potty training, it's especially helpful for anyone with pups who aren't yet fully vaccinated against parvo and can't yet be exposed to the ground where other dogs pay have been. It's treated with an antimicrobial finish that prevents odors from lingering and comes with a drawer to catch waste. So, while it may seem a little silly, it's actually quite practical.
17. A pack of stain-removing pads that'll make taking care of pet accident stains easier than ever. Simply stomp the pad over the stain — pet-related or otherwise — and let it work its magic. For heavier stains, they recommend leaving it on for up to 24 hours.
18. A mounted brush so your cat can easily groom itself. All they have to do is nuzzle up to it (which many cats like to do) and then you just have to remove the hair that it collects. In that way, it will save you from having to brush them as often, too. Win-win.
19. An odor-eliminating spray to help lift stains and odors fast. Each spritz releases bacteria that feeds on the ammonia left behind after your pet's accidents, eliminating the urine completely and deterring your pet from peeing in the same spot again.
20. A wood kennel cover that will transform your dog's crate into a nice little table where you can store their things. This way —especially if you live in a small space — their kennel won't fully occupy an area but provide storage, too.
21. A grooming rake to make grooming your pup easier than evevr. The FURminator is beloved for its gentle design and expert hair-grabbing abilities, so you'll be very glad to have it on hand—especially if you have a pup who sheds a lot.
22. A cozy pet bed that will make them feel cuddled even when you're too busy to snuggle with them. It's made with heat-reflecting fabric, so it will keep them warm, too.
23. A bone-shaped lick pad to help distract your dog long enough to groom and bathe them. Simply spread peanut butter onto it and fall in love with just well it works.
24. A PetSafe treat pouch that will make rewarding your pup easier than ever. Rather than getting your hand caught in your pocket or trying to fumble with a treat bag when out on a walk, this pouch springs open for easy handling. It can be clipped onto your leash or pocket, or worn as a fanny pack. I have one and can attest to how much easier (and faster) it makes the rewarding process. And any puppy owner knows, you have to be fast to mark good behaviors.
25. A PupProtector™ Waterproof Throw Blanket so you can protect your couch, bed, and any other surface you'd like to keep in tip-top shape from any potential puppy messes or accidents. The waterproof blanket is truly waterproof.
26. A bag of Greenies Feline Dental Cat Treats that will make cleaning your cat's teeth less of a struggle. The catnip-infused treats are super easy to use —just give them one and let them chow down. Pearly white kitty teeth will ensue.
27. A PetSafe Eatwell Five-Meal Automatic Pet Feeder so you never have to worry about not being home in time to feed your pet. Simply program it with a timer and it will open up just in time for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
28. A Lupine dog leash because they're the best on the market. (Seriously, I have a bunch of their collars, three of their leashes, and one of their harnesses.) In addition to being sold in a variety of fun colors and prints, they're also available in a bunch of different widths and sizes to ensure you can buy the best fit for your dog. Best of all, all of their products are guaranteed (even for chew), so if your pup manages to ruin their leash (or collar or harness), they'll replace it, no questions asked.
Some reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.