1. Heavy Metal: when neutron stars collide, they forge gold
2. Gamma ray bursts are among the most powerful and devastating explosions in the entire Universe
3. These cosmic explosions can lead to massive black holes
A gamma ray burst is a cosmic collision announcing the birth of a space-bending, time-warping black hole.
4. Without a star to guide them, these planets fall toward a massive black hole
Some worlds drift in the lanes of our galaxy, unattached to any one star or solar system, and like the stars, they can be swept up by a massive black hole.
5. Magma seeps from the core of an orbiting moon
Extraordinary tidal pressure creates glowing red fissures on the night side of this planet.
6. The moon is about to have an encounter with one lucky LADEE
The Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) is a robotic mission that will orbit the moon to gather detailed information about the lunar atmosphere conditions near the surface and environmental influences on lunar dust.
EXTRA: one image we hope isn’t based on reality
This scene of steampunk Martian invaders was generated for Dana Berry’s book, “Race to Mars.”
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Hillary Clinton returned to the public arena in one of her first political appearances since the election, urging Democrats to "keep fighting."
- The White House blocked several media ooutlets it's been critical of, including BuzzFeed, from a closed-door briefing by Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.