It's no secret that teenagers often feel misunderstood by their parents.
Well, a viral Reddit thread asked teenagers to share what they think parents need to hear, and they got all the way real:
1. "Just because I don't want you going through my phone doesn't mean I have something to hide. It means that it's an invasion of my privacy."
2. "Don't protect us from everything or we won't be able to deal with anything."
3. "If we tell you about our depression, anxiety, or panic attacks, it means we trust you. Don't break that trust by brushing it off like it's nothing."
4. "Please don’t pull the blankets off to wake us up."
5. "If something noteworthy happens at school, I'll let you know. But 99% of the time you ask me what happened at school today, the answer will be 'Class.' Continuing to meddle for more will just annoy me. It ain't that interesting, Chief."
6. "You may be older, but that doesn't automatically make you right. Sometimes I actually do know what I'm talking about."
7. "Not everyone on the internet is a pedophile. Some are genuinely sweet, supportive people, and I'd much rather talk to them than everyone who hates me in real life."
8. "Please stop telling me to be social. I'll do it, but I'll radiate discomfort the entire time."
9. "'Because I said so' is not a valid argument."
10. "When your teenage son doesn't want to stand up under any circumstance, he most likely has a boner. Spare him some humiliation."
11. "Not all of my friends are drug addicts."
12. "Please don't criticize your kid's appearance, whether it's their weight, fashion sense, or how they look in general. You're meant to build them up, not tear them down — and it will stick with them for the rest of their life."
13. "I'm actually a good kid. If you saw what some other people my age were up to, you'd be thankful to have me."
14. "Just tell us you’re having sex, and we’ll leave you alone. Don’t try and hide it. We know."
15. "Please stop saying, 'Fine, I guess you'll go work at McDonald's for the rest of your life!' every time we argue about school. It's fucking infuriating."
16. "You’re just as addicted to technology and social media as we are."
17. "Your words are way more impactful on me than you believe. If you call me bad words, trust me, they will hurt more than anyone else's words."
18. "Forced family fun isn’t fun."
19. "Yelling only makes me angrier. If you want to get through to me, explain why you're angry. I can't do anything if you're just spilling your anger onto me."
20. "I don’t want to hug that uncle or aunt."
21. "Taking the L doesn’t take away your power. If anything, it makes us respect you more."
22. "I am so, so proud of you for being a first-generation immigrant, being the first person in your family to go to college, and giving me opportunities you never had. I will always be grateful for it."
23. "If I tell you I need a minute, it's probably for a good reason. Please just give me a minute."
24. "When I ask 'Why?' I'm not always being a dick. Sometimes, I truly want to know why you won't let me do something that feels reasonable to me."
25. "Kids protect their parents from things a lot more than we let on. A lot of times we don't open up to you because we don't think you'd handle situations in a healthy manner."
26. "Your child is not a mini version of you. They have their own thoughts, feelings, dreams, and emotions."
27. "We love you, even if we never say or show it."
Some responses have been edited for length and clarity.