Recently, we shared a viral Reddit thread in which people shared the hilariously stupid things they believed as kids, and they made us laugh, cringe, and just get really confused:
Well, it turns out members of the BuzzFeed Community believed some pretty freakin' hilarious things as kids, too:
1. "When I was a kid, I thought the sound that cicadas make was actually the sun 'crackling' on really hot days."
2. "I thought that Google had people typing in the answers as I searched them."
3. "I thought color in TV and movies was actually invented halfway through The Wizard of Oz, hence the second half being in color."
4. "I didn't know the meaning of the phrase, 'Is that a banana in your pocket or are you happy to see me?' I thought it was just a funny thing to say because having a banana in your pocket is funny to a 7-year-old. Well, one day, my dad had a bunch of stuff in his pocket which made a bulge, and I said, 'Hey Dad — is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?' All of the surrounding adults' faces dropped, and after my mom explained it to me, I didn't make eye contact with my dad for a good two weeks."
5. "When I was really little, I thought there were really tiny people inside our bodies stomping on food to make it digest, and that there were little guys in our brains trying to find our memories with books and a computer."
6. "When I learned about Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad, I thought it was a real train that ran underground — so I thought, 'Wouldn't the slaveowners see the smoke?' It also pissed me off that Harriet didn't get credit for inventing the subway."
7. "I used to think that one day I'd be older than my older brother. When he'd do something mean to me, I'd storm off to my room thinking, 'When I'm older than you, you're going to be sorry!'"
8. "I used to think that tornadoes could hear you, so when you were taking shelter you had to be silent or else it would come straight for your house."
9. "I used to think that when a main character had a flashback in a movie, their younger self was played by the same actor — I thought they started making the movie when the actor was a kid, and then just waited like 30 years to finish it!"
10. "I thought Jack and Rose from Titanic were real people with real stories — so when people said, 'There was enough room on that door for two,' I would scold them and say, 'Those people died horribly, have some respect!'"
11. "Since oral reports referred to talking, I thought oral sex was phone sex."
12. "I thought people on TV could see me through the screen."
13. "I used to intentionally stand in front of the microwave and stare into the sun, hoping to get superpowers from the radiation!"
14. "I thought I could make it rain by standing out on the balcony with the spray bottle my mom used to water the plants and spraying it into the air."
15. "I thought that movies were live plays happening behind a screen. And as for animated movies — I thought they used movable character-shaped balloons!"
16. "I used to think that 'blind driveway' signs meant someone blind lived there."
17. "When I was a kid, I learned about the water cycle, and how water evaporates, condenses into clouds, and then rains. So when I didn't want to go to my tennis lessons, I would fill a bucket with water and put it outside so it would evaporate and make it rain and my lesson would be cancelled."
18. "I used to believe that a dead end street meant there were corpses buried under the pavement. I was a morbid child."
Some responses have been edited for length and clarity.