1. The cast of Rocky on Broadway invited BuzzFeed staffers to learn how to throw a couple punches, and we realized everything we thought we knew was a lie.
2. Cast members Adrian Aguilar and James Brown III taught us the jab, which is more intended for light damage, and then we learned the cross, which is a stronger hit.
4. Step 1: Put your foot forward (right if you’re right-handed, left if you’re left-handed), keep your elbows tight, and put your hands up by your jaw.
A lot of times people have them too high and it prevents you from seeing clearly.
5. Step 2: When you throw a jab, you want to take a little step forward with your foot, and extend your arm at the same time.
6. Step 3: When your hand is in neutral (by your side), you want to punch with your knuckles facing forward and then rotate it back (with knuckles facing inward).
7. Step 4: After you step forward, bring it back.
9. Step 1: To throw a cross, put your preferred foot forward, the other foot back, and move your hips a little.
If you’re punching with your left hand, put your left foot forward, the right foot back, and move hips to the right.
If you’re punching with your right hand, put your right foot forward, the left foot back, and move hips to the left.
10. Step 2: Twist your back foot like you’re putting out a cigarette.
When you do that, your hip will twist forward.
11. Step 3: As you twist, you’re going to extend your arm to punch.
The end of your reach is what should hit your target. If you throw a punch too close in proximity, it won’t work as well.
12. But if you don’t move your feet or hips, your punch wouldn’t hit anybody.
“You wouldn’t bust a grape.”
13. Make sure to whip your hip into it for an effective cross.
14. Step 4: To throw a jab into a cross, hold your hand out at the end of the jab.
15. Step 5: Twist your hip to transition into the cross.
People throw a jab into a cross because the jab sets your hip up to wind up and hit.
16. Here’s what a knockout performance looks like:
17. Thanks to the cast of Rocky for showing us how to punch!
18. BONUS: Here’s a GIF of our editor Tommy getting knocked out*.
*It was a fake punch and Tommy is alive and well.
- Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton sparred over ISIS, race, and Trump's unreleased taxes during the first US presidential debate 📢
- The Colombia government and FARC rebels have signed a historic peace deal, ending 52 years of armed conflict.
- And no, people aren't drilling headphone jacks into their new iPhone 7's 📱❌