1. Patrolling cities
Sargent Sheena Adams patrols a bazaar in Musa Qala, Afghanistan, November 2010.
2. Directing large equipment
A female soldier directs convoys at the Iraq-Kuwait border, December 2011.
3. Mixed martial arts fighting with men
Army Staff Sgt. Jackelyn Walker fights Pfc. Gregory Langarica at Fort Hood, Texas, February 2012. Before women were allowed in combat, they could compete against men in mixed martial arts tournaments on bases.
4. Falling in love
Nikki and Lisa, both active duty sailors in the Navy, kiss at the Gay Pride Parade in San Diego, July 2011.
5. Briefing male service members
First Lt. Nalise Gaither in Ghazni Province, Afghanistan, May 4, 2012.
6. Testing safety equipment made just for them
Female soldiers test out the first body armor designed for women’s bodies, on a firing range in Kentucky, September 2012.
7. Training for emergencies
Capt. Sara Rodriguez carries sandbags as part of Expert Field Medical Badge training at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, May 2012.
8. Meeting with Cabinet secretaries
Secretary of Defense Robert Gates meets a female soldier in Afghanistan, June 2011.
9. Fighting for equality
Capt. Zoe Bedell of the Marine Corps sued the Pentagon over the policy of excluding women from combat. “We can’t have a policy that says I’m not allowed to compete,” she said.
10. Getting injured in the line of duty
Rep. Tammy Duckworth lost both legs in Iraq. Now she’s an outspoken advocate for veterans.
11. Earning Purple Hearts
Sgt. Jennifer Hunt receives the honor for wounds she sustained in Iraq, where she was hit by a roadside bomb.
12. Helping others recover
Melissa Stockwell, the first female soldier to lose a limb in the Iraq War, fits a client with a new prosthetic leg, December 2012.
13. Having families
Air Force Senior Airman Crystal Bryant (left) and her friend, USAF Airman 1st Class Kelly Goodman, at a baby shower for service members and their partners sponsored by a nonprofit group, October 2009.
14. Taking showers
Men and women of the 1st Battalion 8th Marines, Regimental Combat team II have worked out a showering system. November 2010.
15. Doing outreach in the field
Female engagement teams are trained for situations where men might not be welcome, like interacting with women and children. This is Lance Corporal Riane Donoho, 21, of the Marines with Afghan children, November 2010.
Master Sargent Cherelle Peters-Williams with Afghan children, November 2010.
Seargent Sheena Adams (left), Lance Corporal Kristi Baker (right), and U.S. Marines and Hospital Corpsman Shannon Crowley, members of a Female Engagement Team, November 2010.
16. Providing medical care
Hospital Corpsman Amy Housley, part of a Female Engagement Team, checks an Afghan child’s heartbeat, November 2010.
Lance Corporal Luz Lopez plays with an Afghan baby during medical outreach, November 2010.
- Police are investigating after someone destroyed Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star with a sledgehammer early Wednesday.
- The enemy within: Civilians are caught in the crossfire as Iraqi troops move closer to Mosul and face fears of ISIS.
- Apple has delayed shipping its new wireless Airpods headphones that were supposed to go out to iPhone 7 users this month. 🎧
- Donald Trump bashed Hillary Clinton for going to an Adele concert after critics slammed him for promoting his new hotel.