1. She was just nominated for Best Actress for her role in “Beasts of the Southern Wild.”
She plays Hushpuppy, a tough and imaginative little girl who has to fend for herself when her dad falls ill.
3. She lied about her age to get the part.
In an interview with Roger Ebert, she explained, “my Mom got a call from one of her friends and it was for a six to nine year old. So my Mom said I couldn’t go ‘cause I was only five. But we just went and we act like we’re having nothin’ to do; we had done nothin’ wrong. And we just sneaked in because I was like one year younger so we just sneaked in and we walked out like we ain’t done nothin’.”
She added, “they only have found me because the character who is Hushpuppy, she does what is right and she is fearless and that’s what I did at the audition.”
That’s her mom Qulyndreia with her above.
4. She got rave reviews.
The New York Times said she “holds the camera’s attention with a charismatic poise that might make grown-up movie stars weep in envy.” The LA Times said, “When she pounds a table and yells ‘I am ‘da man’ it comes from such an authentic place that it’s clear this is a serious talent to be reckoned with.”
5. She has great style.
Check out her matching leopard flats.
She makes a fedora look cool.
Again with the rad accessories.
That bag up close — the dog has a bow to match her belt. Also note her nail art.
Ruffles and pigtails.
Rocking leggings and ballet flats.
14. You’ll be seeing more of her soon.
She’s appearing in the movie Twelve Years A Slave, with Paul Giamatti and Brad Pitt. It comes out this year.
- Hillary Clinton made her debut with VP pick Tim Kaine, who dipped into Spanish and spoke on support for immigration reform and gun control.
- The gunman who killed at least 10 people at a Munich, Germany mall on Friday was an 18-year-old "obsessed" with mass shootings, police said.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.