1. The Killing of America (1982)
2. The Woman Who Wasn’t There (2012)
3. Haunters: The Art of the Scare (2017)
4. The Witness (2015)
5. Mommy Dead and Dearest (2017)
6. Wisconsin Death Trip (1999)
7. The Family I Had (2017)
8. Crazy Love (2007)
9. Beware the Slenderman (2016)
10. The Galápagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden (2013)
11. The Summit (2012)
12. Josef Fritzl: Story of a Monster (2010)
13. The Bridge (2006)
14. Just Melvin, Just Evil (2000)
15. Genie: Secret of the Wild Child (1994)
16. Gladiator Days: Anatomy of a Prison Murder (2002)
17. Missing 411 (2016)
18. Child of Rage (1990)
19. And The Cheshire Murders (2013)
The victim in Beware the Slenderman survived the attack. A previous version of this post said that she was killed. H/T to the commenters for pointing out our error.
Responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.
The documentary The Family I Had is about a 13-year-old boy who choked and strangled his sister to death. An earlier version of this article said he stabbed her to death. Thank you to the readers who pointed it out!
The Family I Had was given three out of four stars by the review team on the late Roger Ebert's website. An earlier version of this article stated that Ebert himself gave it this rating. The native Chicagoan who wrote this is grateful to the readers who corrected this information, and will brush up on basic information about people from her city, like the fact that Ebert died years ago (ugh!).