5. “‘There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions.’” (Sense and Sensibility)
Modern translation: It’s so cute that you like outdoor music festivals and universal heath care now, because you’re going to become a cynical jerk soon.
9. ”’…there are very few of us who have heart enough to be really in love without encouragement. In nine cases out of ten a woman had better show more affection than she feels.’” (Pride and Prejudice )
Modern translation: Men are kind of dense. If you don’t throw yourselves at them, they won’t really notice that you like them.
10. “‘A single woman, with a very narrow income, must be a ridiculous, disagreeable old maid!…but a single woman, of good fortune, is always respectable, and may be as sensible and pleasant as any body else.’” (Emma)
Modern translation: It’s all well and good to be single in your fourties if you’re also rich, but it’s just terrible to be poor AND alone.
11. “‘I think it ought not to be set down as certain that a man must be acceptable to every woman he may happen to like himself.’” (Mansfield Park)
Modern translation: Just because a guy likes you, does not mean you have to like him back. In fact, it’s rude for him to assume this.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Let the Brexit countdown begin: Prime Minister Theresa May has invoked Article 50. Britain is set to leave the EU by 2019.
- The US House of Representatives voted to undo landmark internet privacy rules that protect your sensitive information 💻
- Companies like Nestle, Ben & Jerry's, and General Mills say they'll keep fighting carbon pollution despite Trump's climate change executive order.
- Two UN investigators' bodies were found in a shallow grave after they went missing in the Democratic Republic of Congo.