1. Butter your popcorn more evenly using a straw.
If you go to a movie theater chain that allows you to butter your own popcorn, you can get a nice, even distribution of butter by putting a straw on the dispenser and sticking the straw deep into your popcorn bag. No more dry, butterless popcorn at the bottom of the bag!
If you're at a place where the concessions workers butter for you, just ask them to "layer" the butter for a similar effect.
2. Use the RunPee app to figure out when you can go pee during a long movie.
Movies are getting longer and longer these days, and some of us just don't have the bladder capacity for it (especially after drinking a bucket of soda). This app, available for iOS and Android, tells you when there's a lull in the plot so you can go pee. It'll also tell you if there's a post-credits scene so you know if you should stick around or not!
The app does cost money (and runs ads on top of that), but the official AMC Theaters app has RunPee included for any currently running movie for free.
3. Buy your tickets in bulk in advance to save money.
4. See a lot of movies every month? There's a Netflix for movie theaters.
5. Hate trailers? Get to your movie about 13 minutes late.
6. Join your theater's loyalty program for discounts and rewards.
7. Want the best sound quality? Sit toward the back.
8. Forget "airplane mode." Put your phone in "movie mode" for rewards through Cinemark.
The official Cinemark app has CineMode, which dims your phone's screen and silences it for the duration of the movie automatically. If you don't touch your phone the whole time, you get a reward for use at any Cinemark theater.