By now, you've heard that there's going to be a new Netflix series about Sabrina the Teenage Witch, based on the comic series The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Kiernan Shipka will star as Sabrina Spellman.
But this isn't going to be anything like the bubbly '90s Sabrina you grew up with. Here's everything you need to know.
1. The show and comics are both penned by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa — the Riverdale showrunner. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina takes place in the same universe as Riverdale. Greendale, where Sabrina lives, is a neighboring town.
2. Though no one's officially confirmed or denied a possible crossover, there are lot of familiar Riverdale faces in the Sabrina comics. Betty and Veronica are witches who play a pretty central role, a big meeting takes place at Pop's Chock'Lit Shoppe, and Jughead even makes a cameo.
3. The show is bound to be hella dark. Aguirre-Sacasa's big influences for the comics were the horror films Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, The Omen, and Arthur Miller's 1953 play, The Crucible.
4. And the comics are very morbid. There's a fair amount of devil worship, sex, and zombies.
5. The show already has some Buffy the Vampire Slayer vibes. A Netflix press release described Sabrina as "an empowered young woman, just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, even as she tries to maintain a normal life as a sophomore at Baxter High." She's often "all that stands between us and the forces of darkness that threaten our world."
6. Sabrina is half mortal and half witch. Her warlock father received special dispensation to marry her mother, a mortal, after the three Weird Sisters prophesied that the mixing of mortal and witch blood would secure the Spellman family's place in history.
7. Sabrina will probably have a looot of Dad Issues. Edward Spellman, Sabrina's absent father, was once high priest of the Church of Night. He's power-hungry, vicious, and kind of the worst.
8. Sabrina's mortal mom, Diana, is also absent from her first birthday onward.
9. The comics begin on Oct. 31, 1951 — Sabrina's first birthday — but most of the action takes place leading up to Sabrina's 16th birthday.
10. Sabrina was raised by her aunts, Zelda and Hilda, Edward's older sisters and powerful witches who have pledged their souls to Satan. They both love Sabrina, and want her to command her own fate.
11. Hilda, who will be played by Lucy Davis, is the softer and more maternal of the two sisters. But she's still fiercely protective and extremely devout.
12. Zelda, who will be played by Miranda Otto, is the steelier of the two aunts. She's the disciplinarian, and takes her Satantic faith very seriously.
13. Ambrose, Sabrina’s British cousin, partner in crime, and a gifted warlock, will be played by Chance Perdomo. Per Netflix, the show's version of Ambrose will be "witty, puckish, and pansexual."
14. Harvey Kinkle, Sabrina's jock boyfriend, is a major player in the comics. But he's nothing like Harvey from the the original TV show, and neither is his fate (in the comics, at least).
16. The show will include some new characters who don't appear in the comics. Richard Coyle will play Father Blackwood, the ambitious and sinister high priest of the Church of Night and dean of the Academy of the Unseen Arts.
17. Jaz Sinclair will play Rosalind Walker, Sabrina's best friend and the daughter of Greendale's minister.
18. Gavin Leatherwood joins the cast as Nicholas Scratch, a young and handsome warlock at the Academy of Unseen Arts who befriends Sabrina when she's a new student. An acolyte of Sabrina’s father’s teachings, Nicholas is drawn to Sabrina — and there are immediate sparks between them.
19. Lachlan Watson Watson plays Susie Putnam, one of Sabrina’s friends at Baxter High and a founding member of the school’s newly formed WICCA club. Brave and optimistic despite being bullied at school, Susie lives on a farm at the outskirts of town and deals with a terrifying supernatural threat at home.
20. Yes, Salem the cat will definitely be a part of the series. He's a central character in the comics.
21. But chances are he won't be some lighthearted, wisecracking sidekick. Salem is a "familiar" — a witch's animal companion and protector — and he used to be a human. He has a ghastly backstory rooted in the Salem witch trials.
22. The villain is a character named Madam Satan. She's Edward's former lover who killed herself when Edward rejected her for Sabrina's mortal mother. She's since been resurrected from Hell and wants revenge on the Spellman clan.