1. Medieval shoes could be up to 2 feet long.
2. And 17th-century shoes could be up to 2 feet tall.
3. Victorian boys wore dresses until they were around 4 or 5 years of age.
4. French noblewomen wore hairstyles inspired by ships.
5. Not to be outdone, British women wore huge hats.
6. Don't worry: Men looked ridiculous too.
7. And both English and French noblewomen looked like they were smuggling wardrobes under their dresses.
8. In the 1860s, dresses became so wide that women would frequently get stuck in doorways.
9. Elizabethan women used to bare their bosoms.
10. Romans wore penis good luck charms.
11. And New Yorkers went through a (cruel) phase of wearing chameleons as living jewellery in 1894.
12. Tudor men wore overly stuffed codpieces, as it was all the rage to look like you had a massive erection.