1. Fresh off its debut at Comic-Con this weekend, the first teaser trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies was released to the public on Monday and it’s as outsized as J.R R. Tolkien’s epic fantasy saga.
2. The movie is the third and final installment of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit trilogy, and the teaser offers glimpses of all the characters, as well as some mourning, reflection, massive battles, and even a glimpse of the Eye of Sauron.
3. “Will you follow me, one last time?”
Why yes, Thorin, yes we will.
4. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, which stars Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield, Evangeline Lilly as Tauriel, and Orlando Bloom as Legolas, opens in the U.S. on Dec. 17.
- Russia won't be banned from the Rio Olympics but its athletes need to pass new anti-doping tests to compete, the IOC ruled.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.
- Hillary Clinton made her debut with VP pick Tim Kaine, who dipped into Spanish and spoke on support for immigration reform and gun control.