1. There's a prize for best dog performance.
2. Yes, it's home to some high fashion...
3. ...But some wacky fashion as well.
4. It's used to promote movies that aren't in the festival and that might not exist yet.
5. The festival's not only for new films.
6. And while star power still has plenty of pull...
Ryan Gosling's never directed a movie before, but that didn't stop huge crowds from coming out for his filmmaking debut Lost River.
7. ...People literally fight to get into films that would have a tough time getting an audience elsewhere.
8. And if you don't have a ticket, you can always try your luck with a sign.
9. You'll hear the name "Raoul" quite a few times.
10. Though it's an old festival, it's always up for some new tricks.
11. There are some crazy parties.
12. But people genuinely love going to movies.
13. And some of those people are stars themselves.
Jessica Chastain came to Cannes for The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, but stayed on to watch some movies.