Volunteers Are Holding A Hackathon To Tackle Sexual Violence In Conflict
#EndSVCHack is producing some brilliant ideas.
This is a hackathon:
They range from coders, developers, diplomats, social entrepreneurs, experts on sexual violence in conflict, sexual violence survivors and NGO representatives.
This all came about after the Dutch Embassy in the UK approached Chayn and MakeSense. Together they pitched the idea of a hackathon to the British Foreign Office.
The participants have been working in start-up style teams to produce ideas like this. They'll develop them into prototypes and present them to a judging panel on Thursday.
The other ideas are:
- A mapping system so that survivors of sexual violence can find out by SMS where there are shelters in their area.
- An unhackable database that will allow displaced victims of conflict and trafficking to find their families again.
- A game that will highlight how survivors of sexual violence suffer stigma within their communities.
- A centralised global sexual violence reporting system that will provide a comprehensive log around the world.
- A tool that will alert villages when militia are approaching.