1. Do you remember Harnaam Kaur?
The 23-year-old woman was featured on BuzzFeed earlier this year.
2. At the age of 11 she began to grow a beard as a result of polycystic ovary syndrome. Despite her best efforts to get rid of it, it grew too quickly to hide by waxing or shaving.
She was bullied at school and in the street because of it. At her lowest ebb, she was frightened to leave the house, self-harming and considering suicide.
Then she was baptized as a Sikh – a religion that forbids the cutting of any body hair. And she gradually accepted that she could be beautiful with a beard.
3. Well, just look at her now.
4. She’s one of several people featured in #Project60, a portrait series which the organisers think contains the best 60 beards in the world.
It’s been created to mark the launch of Beard Season, a charity that wants to encourage people to grow beards over the winter to raise awareness of skin cancer. Above you see Michael Legge, who has a quite magnificent beard.
5. Note – this man in a denim jacket is quite possibly the manliest man that ever manned.
(His name is Jimmy Niggles).
6. Although this guy, who’s probably his dad or something, is also extremely manly.
(This is Frank Moon).
7. In summary, everyone involved in this competition looks awesome.
(This is Simon Sankywashere).
8. Kaur told Barcroft Media: “It’s incredible to be the only bearded woman among all these men. It makes me feel really strong.”
She went on to say: “When I first started growing my beard it was for religious reasons but as the years have gone by I’ve kept it for more personal reasons. It makes me feel like a brave, confident woman who isn’t afraid to break society’s norms. And raising awareness for such a good cause is like a cherry on the top. When I first started growing my beard I had no idea how it could impact upon others, but it is amazing what can happen when you’re true to yourself.”