1. This is the medieval Castle of Bran in Romania.
It’s just been put on the market by its archduke owner.
2. The papers seem to think Bram Stoker based the castle in Dracula on it.
There is, however, no evidence that he knew anything about this castle, which has only tangential associations with Vlad III, voivode of Wallachia, or as you perhaps know him: Vlad the Impaler.
3. But nevertheless, it still attracts 560,000 visitors a year.
Because people like to believe, man. Also, it’s rather pretty.
4. It formally belonged to Romania’s Queen Consort in the days of the Habsburg royal family.
When the Communists came to power in 1948, her descendents were given 24 hours to ship out. The family got the castle back after the Iron Curtain fell, and are now looking for new owners.
5. There’s a plan for a glass elevator to be installed. It’ll lead to a tunnel in the mountain.
And in there will be a light show featuring Dracula and telling the history of the castle.
6. The Romanian government was apparently first given the option to buy it.
But the owners are open to offers. If you’ve got the best part of £50 million spare, it’s all yours.