1. Dutch artist Noortje de Keijzer knitted a life-size man as part of her design school graduation.
“I created Arthur because I felt like it was time for a man in my life,” she told OPTIONS, a design shop in Amsterdam where the work was displayed last summer. “I could say that’s a joke, but it is partly true. I’ve always been interested in loneliness. I felt very lonely at times, and I’m sure everybody feels lonely from time to time. The strange part is that it seems like it’s an emotion nobody really talks about. As if it’s something to be ashamed of, a bad feeling that should always be avoided.”
2. de Keijzer’s mother and grandmother knitted the initial prototype.
And knitwear designer Sarena Huizinga knitted subsequent versions on an industrial knitting machine: “Partly because of practical reasons,” de Keijzer said, “and partly because I found it an exciting idea that a knitted man could just come out of a machine in one piece in a very short time, as if he was being born!”
3. She made this unbelievably delightful video.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has been captured, Turkish media report.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Prime Minister Theresa May will set out a "hard Brexit" plan during a speech about Britain leaving the European Union.
- Spencer's Gifts is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many say normalizes sexual assault.