1. Fashion shows still take place outside on the street.
Evening gowns at the Olympia Home Exhibition in New York, 1922.
2. And in homes.
Bridal gown show in a private home in England, 1923.
3. Also, in beds.
A fashion show in a restaurant in Berlin, 1925.
4. And even on boats.
A fashion show on the ocean liner Franconia, docked in Liverpool, 1925.
5. Planes are also not ignored as fashion show sets.
Fashion show on a plane to Miami, 1930. (Not technically the 20s, but close enough.)
6. Hats are still ridiculous.
Sleepwear modeled in a private home, London, 1928.
Aurelio Costarella, Melbourne Fashion Week 2012
Ion Fiz, Madrid Fashion Week 2012
Louis Vuitton, Shanghai Fashion Week 2012
7. Models must act oblivious to their surroundings.
Evening dress at a showroom, 1926.
8. Sometimes the runway is a beach.
Fashion show in Rye, New York, 1920.
9. Coveted front-row seats remain empty during showtime.
Swimwear modeled for business women as part of a “mannequin parade” in England, 1925.
10. You can fondle the clothes the models wear.
Clothes made from new synthetic silk on the catwalk in London, 1926. Legions of Forever 21 shoppers are forever grateful.
However, there are a few key differences between fashion shows of the ’20s and fashion shows today.
11. For instance, today’s male models are often expected to walk a runway, instead of stand around smoking.
Male models in the Nottingham Showroom wear raincoats and boots (or “Mackintoshes” and “waterproofs” as the Brits say) for a female audience, 1929.
12. With lingerie events, full-coverage slips have made way for Carnivale costumes and synchronized backup dancers.
An underwear show in a private home in Berlin, 1925.
13. Another important distinction: Runways tend not to climax with stairs.
Bridal gown modeled at the Messrs Lennards Showroom in London, 1925.
14. And child models today rarely double as the gardener.
A kiddie garden fashion show, 1921.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Several states will keep enforcing bans against transgender discrimination in schools after Trump withdrew guidelines protecting students.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- A couple recently celebrated their engagement with a "La La Land" inspired photo shoot, and it's pretty cute 💍📷