1. On Friday, Colorado State Rep. Joe Salazar made comments regarding rape during a state legislature debate over a bill to outlaw concealed weapons on college campuses.
Salazar said, in part, “It’s why we have call boxes, it’s why we have safe zones, it’s why we have the whistles. Because you just don’t know who you’re gonna be shooting at…And you don’t know if you feel like you’re gonna be raped, or if you feel like someone’s been following you around or if you feel like you’re in trouble when you may actually not be, that you pop out that gun and you pop … pop a round at somebody.” The Democratic legislator was immediately taken to task, with Republicans drawing comparisons to Todd Akin’s remarks over “legitimate rape.” He issued an apology on Monday.
2. Late Monday night, one Twitter user saw the opportunity for a hashtag.
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape: Wait for global warming to cause a meteorite to hit your attacker!!!— El SOOPer!!
He wrote on his blog that “when the story broke about some idiot Colorado state senator’s comments to try to reassure potential rape victims that a whistle is just as good as a gun to ward off assailants” he “thought of a funny hashtag to mock the situation, and tweeted the first tweet!!”
4. The comment set off a flurry of responses from conservatives on Twitter.
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape Tell him you don’t believe in guns and don’t have one, but you called the cops and they’ll arrive in 12 minutes.— divadoll123
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape - stop being Liberal, or don’t be a stupid Liberal, and buy yourself a Smith-Wesson .38 snub nose w/ Hollow Points.— Doctor Freckles
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape Hit your attacker with whatever protest sign you happen to be carrying that day.— rob b
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape Inform a school counselor that someone is about to rape you and schedule a conference to discuss the situation..— VickersÂ® âœ…
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape Be ugly.— The Vanilla Fella
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape just say your Sandra Fluke— John McGillis
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape Don’t get raped— John Klagholz
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape don’t get raped— Amina Gingold
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape don’t get raped.— Marissa Rode
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape Tell him he didn’t build the roads he just drove on !— Red in Blue ILLINOIS
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape whine and cry about insensitive hashtags and hope it wins cool points with future rapists.— End of the Republic
16. Immediately, there was pushback.
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape If you see someone walking alone at night don’t rape them.— Rory McKean
Put the onus of not getting raped on would-be rapists rather than would-be victims. #liberaltips2avoidrape— Suzan Eraslan
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape You know what’s disgusting? Using the threat of rape to press your pro-gun agenda.— Taylor Nicole
#LiberalTip2AvoidRape Raise respectful, compassionate children who are intelligent enough to avoid this kind of hashtag— Deborah Murdock
20. Now the hashtag is so big that it’s been overrun with nonsensical bots.
#LiberalTips2AvoidRape I love bacon I love u.. I love bacon I love u— NancieTanhkq
I simply love Grey’s anatomy #LiberalTips2AvoidRape— JohnSmutnymb
- The 6-year-old boy who was shot Wednesday while on the playground at his elementary school in South Carolina has died.
- Trump's home and golf club near Washington, DC have security cameras inside and out, monitored from New York, insiders say.
- Seven bee species have officially been listed as endangered in the US. Losing them could have a devastating effect on the ecosystem.