1. A new soda champion has risen and it is known as Mexican Coke. It’s made with sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup and comes in the classic curvy glass bottle you expect to see on an episode of Mad Men.
2. New York restauranteurs say it’s definitely a thing, with some people venturing to call it “real coke.”
Greta Dana, owner of Taco Chulo in Williamsburg, has been stocking Mexican Coke since she opened the restaurant eight years ago. She says she’s seen an uptick in demand for the drink lately. “The Mexican Coke craze has been sort of recent,” she said. “But it’s definitely become more of a thing that people ask for. It’s more of a trendy item, if you could say that about a Coke.”
3. But it’s not just a hit in New York. From Washington, D.C., to Texas and Los Angeles, Mexican Coke’s reach is vast.
My wife sends me off to work with a bottle of Mexican Coke AND an attached bottle opener, is awesome.
Few things are as satisfying as a Mexican Coke.
It’s midnight, and I want a Mexican Coke more than anything in the world. I may hit to the corner store, don’t judge me. #tasteslikehappy
6. “Everywhere we go in Seattle, Mexican Coke is on the menu. Totally awesome.”
Whenever immigration reform debates get heated, Mexicans should just threaten to stop exporting their Coke. A Day Without a Mexican Coke.
Mannnnn…Mexican Coke is soooooo good!!!
Mexican coke is da best
Mexican Coke! Those who know - know!!!! Yes the soft drink.
12. Dave Chang, of trendy restaurant Momofuku, even defended charging $5 for the elusively delicious Mexican Coke on Twitter in May 2011.
@justinkowalski 86 @seriouseats. kenji please stick to catering. mexican coke = hard to obtain in nyc + costs $. @momofuku @momomilkbar
13. So why is Mexican Coke spoken of in hushed and semi-reverential tones? Because Pepsi and Coca-Cola introduced high fructose corn syrup to their sodas as a cheaper replacement for sugar in 1984.
14. According to DNA Info, the U.S. is the only country to use corn syrup in soda. Thanks to importation quotas designed to protect American sugar producers, cane sugar is more expensive than corn syrup.
Coke from Mexico is a hundred times better than regular coke
15. The Daily Mail conducted a test to find the soda pop champion, but found that most couldn’t tell the difference.
We found that while most said they preferred the Mexican version when they could see which was which, half failed to correctly identify the two drinks when they did a blind test.
- Indiana votes on Tuesday, and it could be Ted Cruz's last big chance to end Trump's winning streak in the U.S. presidential race 🇺🇸
- A judge in Brazil has ordered WhatsApp blocked for 72 hours over the messaging service's recently encrypted data ❌📲
- Ahoy, Havana: A U.S. cruise ship docked in Cuba on Monday for the first time in nearly 40 years 🚢