In Flynn’s book, the action alternates between Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) as he deals with the disappearance of his wife Amy (Rosamund Pike), and Amy’s handwritten diary of their courtship and increasingly unhappy marriage.
Amy’s voice is a vital reason the story works so diabolically well, but given that this is a movie, some of the book’s fans (myself included) were concerned Amy would be keeping some kind of video diary instead. But as this trailer reveals, Amy still keeps a written diary — in impeccable handwriting, by the way — augmented by voice-over from Pike. Phew!
4. The movie has one of the most…surprising casts in years. Like, Neil Patrick Harris as Amy’s (very) creepy ex-boyfriend.
5. And Tyler Perry — Tyler Perry! — as Nick’s flashy lawyer Tanner Bolt.
That’s Missi Pyle (The Artist, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) as Nancy Grace stand-in Ellen Abbott, by the way.
6. And, yup, that is Happy Endings star Casey Wilson as Nick and Amy’s very pregnant neighbor.
If you had told me someone from the Happy Endings cast was in Gone Girl, then I would have told you that person was Eliza Coupe.
7. For many book fans, the biggest question mark was whether Oscar winner Ben Affleck would make a convincing Nick — someone you could sympathize with and also suspect of killing his wife. So far? He’s looking pretty great.
Almost too great, which is the point. “I have a face you want to punch,” Nick says of himself in Flynn’s novel. Based on this trailer, Affleck appears to be pulling that feat off handsomely.
8. Gone Girl opens on Oct. 3.
- A Trump official says the campaign has "three major voter suppression operations underway."
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀
- The Obama administration delayed trans workers' protections for years after a landmark civil rights decision 🔎🌈
- Apple is expected to unveil a handful of updates to its Mac line today, including a new MacBook Pro📱 🍎