Marina Abramovic’s exhibit “The Artist Is Present” at MoMA made a lot of people cry. There’s even a tumblr dedicated to how much everyone was crying.
The premise of the exhibition was simple. Spectators were invited to sit across from her in complete silence while Abramovic stared at them. A lot of people were moved, but the tables were turned when a surprise guest showed up the opening night of the exhibition.
Ulay is another performance artist who worked and had a relationship with Abramovic in the ’70s. In 1988, the two artists decided to make a spiritual journey to represent the end of their relationship. They went to China where the walked the length of the Great Wall starting on opposite ends and meeting in the middle to exchange goodbyes.
8. Marina Abramovic on her relationship with Ulay:
“We needed a certain form of ending, after this huge distance walking towards each other. It is very human. It is in a way more dramatic, more like a film ending … Because in the end you are really alone, whatever you do.”
Here’s the full video:
- One of the nation's top legal groups is seeking a wide array of records from four federal agencies to challenge Trump's potential business conflicts.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- The turnout at Trump's inaugural concert was much smaller compared to the crowd that showed up for Obama's 2009 celebration.
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌