1. Ever wondered who the voice behind the UK’s self-service checkouts is? The one telling you that there’s an unexpected item in the bagging area, even when there clearly isn’t?
For many years, the person’s identity was a closely guarded secret, as the National Cash Register Corporation – the American firm that makes most of Britain’s self-service checkouts – reportedly didn’t want her poached by a rival firm.
2. But now the voice behind a million requests to enter your PIN has been revealed as actress and voiceover artist Helena Breck.
She’s not the only voice of the checkouts any more – the company has diversified and brought in other voice actors – but she was the original. (You can listen to a sample of her other voice work at her agent’s site.)
3. Here she is in the 1981 ITV drama Crown Court.
She also appeared in EastEnders in 1994, and was a regular cast member in the notoriously ropey soap-opera-on-a-North-Sea-ferry Triangle.
She told MailOnline: ‘I still hear myself sometimes when I go into the supermarket but they have new voices now and I am doing other things.’
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.