1. An effigy of Katie Hopkins, every lazy TV show booker’s favourite horrible person, will be burned on Guy Fawkes Night in the Kent town of Edenbridge.
2. Explaining the decision, Charles Laver of the Edenbridge Bonfire Society said:
She has come out with silly remarks, so we thought why not? We had to come up with someone, so we thought about Katie.
On their Facebook page, the society accuses Hopkins of trying “to be simply outrageous - as often and as publicly as she can possibly manage”.
4. It’s not a new thing for Edenbridge - they do this every year. Last year they burned an effigy of Lance Armstrong.
5. And in previous years they’ve set fire such notable figures as Katie Price, Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand, and Cherie Blair.
6. In unsurprising news, all parties seem to be perfectly happy with this publicity generating strategy.
This year’s burning will take place on Saturday night.
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›