If you don’t already know: BoA is a legendary Korean pop singer. She’s kind of a huge deal.
She’s been around since the early 2000s, and had hits in both the K-Pop and J-Pop genres. Later in her career, she crossed over to the Western market, too.
Here are only some reasons why she’s pop royalty:
3. Her name is an acronym for “Beat of Angel” and she’s living embodiment of that.
5. And apparently does not age.
BoA on the cover for her 2002 single “Every Heart” (left) and BoA after a live show in 2013 (right).
7. She could eat you up — metaphorically, and yeah, probably literally.
8. This has actually inspired some excellent food parody videos.
“I’ll eat you up …pork buns, pork buns.”
9. Her debut album sold millions in Japan and hit the top of the charts. She was the first Korean singer to do so.
10. She’s also one of the first K-pop stars to hit commercial success on a worldwide scale.
By singing in English and Korean, she’s become a standout example of the whole Korean “Hallyu” wave.
11. And she hasn’t stopped. BoA is always making comebacks, so she gets to keep her crown, y’all.
12. Her YouTube channel continues to garner millions upon millions of views.
14. She’s literally rubbed elbows with American A-listers. Like Bruce Willis, who’s clearly checking her out here.
Oh, and hey, Avril Lavigne.
15. Yeah, yeah, most K-pop stars can dance. But of all the newcomers, BoA is still killin’ it.
17. And even though BoA has basically earned her title as boss bitch of the K-pop/J-pop/World-pop empire…
18. She’s still as grounded as ever!
Here she is kicking back and laughing on Korean game show “Running Man.”