2. But unless your icicles do this…
5. And although such heavy snow can make it difficult for Finns to get their cars started…
6. Once they get going, they’re allowed to drive on lakes.
Yep. When lakes in Finland freeze over, they become public roads. The longest is 7kms and it crosses Lake Pielinen.
7. And if they don’t fancy driving, they can always rent out husky-drawn sleighs.
8. Of course, huskies aren’t the only animals that work throughout Finnish winters.
That’s a reindeer. He’s a police reindeer. AWH.
9. This guy employs a fair few reindeer too.
His name is Joulupukki and he lives in Lapland (that’s the top bit of Finland).
10. And because he lives so near by, Finns get their presents a day early.
Santa visits every house, in person, after dinner on Christmas Eve. And that’s when presents are opened.
11. In fact, Christmas Eve is the main day Finns celebrate on.
12. They start the day with a hearty bowl of rice pudding.
With a single almond hidden in it. If you get it, you’ll have good luck for a year.
14. And plenty of glögg.
It’s like mulled wine, but with so much cardamon.
15. Ice lanterns are big in Finland.
So if you go for an afternoon walk, you’ll see them everywhere. And because the sun sets at 3pm, they always look magical.
16. It’s traditional to burn advent candles as you eat dinner.
Which usually involves a ham roast served with mustard, salt-cured salmon and rutabaga casserole (which is kind of a cross between turnip and cabbage casserole).
17. What’s for pudding? YUMMY SCRUMMY PRUNE TARTS.
18. And leipajuusto. Which, BTW, is the best thing in the world.
That’s cheese that you cook in the oven and eat with cloudberry jam. It squeaks in your teeth.
19. In some parts of Finland, you can rent out globes to sleep in and watch the Northern Lights.
21. Also, the Moomins love Christmas.
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›