22. 1998: Dana International, “Diva” (Israel).
WTF because… Those feathered arms.
Best lyric: “And when she cries / Diva is an angel / When she laughs / She’s a devil / She is all beauty and love”.
21. 2010: Sunstroke Project & Olia Tira, “Run Away” (Moldova).
WTF because… That saxophone.
Best lyric: “Oh… forgive, I don’t need, I won’t breathe / Just get away from my life”.
20. 1981: Bucks Fizz, “Making Your Mind Up” (U.K.).
WTF because: The men rip off the women’s’ skirts mid-way through the song.
Best lyric: “Don’t let your indecision take you from behind / Trust your inner vision / Don’t let others change your mind”.
19. 2004: Ruslana, “Wild Dances” (Ukraine).
WTF because… She’s a cave girl.
Best lyric: “I want you to want me as I dance / Round and round and round / Shi-di-ri-di-duy, shi-di-ri-di-da-na / Shi-di-ri-di-duy, shi-di-ri-di-da-na”.
18. 2009: Krassimir Avramov, “Illusion” (Bulgaria).
WTF because… Men on stilts spin each other around by the legs in it.
Best lyric: “Your lips can solve it for me”.
17. 2006: LT United, “We Are The Winners” (Lithuania).
WTF because… The song claimed they would win Eurovision. They didn’t.
Best lyric: “We are the winners of Eurovision / We are, we are! We are, we are!
/ We are the winners of Eurovision / We are, we are! We are, we are!”
16. 1998: Guildo Horn, “Guildo Hat Euch Lieb” (Germany).
WTF because… The lyrics make literally no sense.
Best lyric: “That’s where I’d like to be / If the stars weren’t so far away / And from there I’d send you the proof of my love / Nut cookies and raspberry ice cream”.
15. 2012: Can Bonomo, “Love Me Back” (Turkey).
WTF because… The backing dancers are dressed as bats.
Best lyric: “Pirates, high seas, cautions, cannons, and poitons / A sailor’s passions can always conquer the oceans”.
14. 2012: Jedward, “Waterline” (Ireland).
WTF because… It’s Jedward. In glittery suits of armour. At Eurovision.
Best lyric: “Whistle blast / Lights flash / Throw a rope / Grab a hold / Feel the undertow”.
13. 1976: Peter, Sue & Marc, “Djambo Djambo” (Switzerland).
WTF because… It’s about a sad clown.
Best lyric: “The birds have known the old man for many years / His eyes have seen so much and look so mild / He’s up at four and early every morning / He feeds them and feels happy like a child”.
12. 2002: Michalis Rakintzis, “S.A.G.A.P.O.” (Greece).
WTF because… The song is about cheering someone up by telling them you love them. But it refers to love as “the password”.
Best lyric: “If you want to get my love / If you pray for me and hope / Give the password”.
11. 1980: Telex, “Euro-Vision” (Belgium).
WTF because… It’s a song about Eurovision by a man with glitter in his pockets.
Best lyric: “The poor, the rich too / Trusting the panel / No use to switch to / Another channel”.
10. 1983: Çetin Alp & The Short Waves, “Opera” (Turkey).
WTF because… It’s a non-operatic song about opera.
Best lyric: “The excitement and intrigue, the lovers and their games / Overtures, trios, duets and choruses / Raise their voices through the ages as they sing ‘La Traviata’”.
9. 2007: Verka Serduchka, “Dancing Lasha Tumbai” (Ukraine).
WTF because… It’s the glitziest Eurovision entry EVER.
Best lyric: “Ukraine - is it a good country? / It’s a good one! / Ukraine - is it a nice country? / It’s a nice one!”
8. 2013: Farid Mammadov, “Hold Me” (Azerbaijan).
WTF because… There in a man in a box who mirrors the main guy’s moves.
Best lyric: “Hold me / Just unfold me / Unchain my soul / Give me love / Make me whole”.
7. 2008: Pirates Of The Sea , “Wolves Of The Sea” (Latvia).
WTF because… They’re pirates.
Best lyric: “With a hii hii hoo and a hii hii hey / We’re bound to be close to the sea / Our captain will stand on the bridge and sing / Pirates are all we can be”.
6. 2005: Zdob şi Zdub, “Boonika Bate Doba” (Moldova).
WTF because… It features a drumming granny in a rocking chair.
Best lyric: “Now get your body moving, just follow the tune / It’s a real magic - big mama play her drum-a / She’s flying into trance like an Indian shaman”.
5. 1977: Schmetterlinge, “Boom Boom Boomerang” (Austria).
WTF because… The men turn into dolls part-way through.
Best lyric: “Boom boom boomerang up in the sky / Kangaroo, boogaloo, go out and buy / Ding dong, sing the song, hear the guitar cry / Kojak, hijack, don’t ask why”.
4. 2003: Urban Trad, “Sanomi” (Belgium).
WTF because… It was sung in a made up language.
Best lyric: ???
3. 2008: Dustin The Turkey, “Irelande Douze Pointe” (Ireland).
WTF because… It’s a turkey puppet singing in a strong Irish accent.
Best lyric: “Eastern Europe, we love you / Do you like Irish stew? / Or goulash as it is to you?”
2. 2006: Lordi, “Hard Rock Hallelujah” (Finland).
WTF because… They’re dressed in foam latex monster costumes.
Best lyric: “I got horns on my head / My fangs are sharp / And my eyes are red”.
1. 2012: Buranovskiye Babushki, “Party For Everybody” (Russia).
WTF because… They’re six Russian grannies who trying to raise money to build a church by baking a cake live on Eurovision.
Best lyric: “And my cat is happy / And my dog is happy! / The happiness is overflowing!”